Report a nil remittance – How to report
2. How to report
You can report a nil remittance:
Report a nil remittance online
Report a nil remittance using TeleReply
TeleReply is an automated telephone service for reporting nil remittances. To use it, call 1-800-959-2256. If you use TeleReply, you do not need to send a paper remittance voucher, and you will receive an immediate confirmation.
If you are a client of the Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) of Nova Scotia, you can also use TeleReply to tell the Board that you have no WCB remittance to make.
For information on TeleReply for non-resident accounts, see Non-Resident TeleReply.
You cannot use TeleReply if one of the following applies:
- you paid remuneration and had to make source deductions
- you need to change your legal name or address
- you have changed your business status
- you are calling from outside Canada
- you need to change a previous reply
If you cannot use TeleReply, see reporting a nil remittance online or by mail.
Before you call TeleReply
Have the following information available before you call TeleReply:
- your payroll program (RP) account number
- the reason you are reporting a nil remittance
- the date when you expect to next make source deductions
For best results, and to ensure your privacy, do not use a cordless or cellular telephone or one with the keypad in the handset. If at any time during the call, the automated system says you cannot use TeleReply, you will need to report your nil remittance online or by mail.
Hours of operation
You can use TeleReply every day from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Eastern time.
How to use TeleReply
To use TeleReply, simply call 1-800-959-2256, and follow the instructions. At the end of the call, you will need to confirm the information you entered, and wait for a confirmation number.
To report a nil remittance with TeleReply, you can do one of the following:
- give the remitting period end date when you next expect to make source deductions
- give the remitting period end date when you did not make source deductions
- report that you do not know when you will make source deductions next
Tips for using TeleReply
Here are a few tips for using this service:
- press the star button (*) to repeat a message
- press the number sign (#) when you are finished entering information
- you do not need to enter the letters "RP" from your account number
- enter dates in the following format: 4 digits for the year, 2 digits for the month, and 2 digits for the day
- write down your TeleReply confirmation number
- if you hang up before receiving a confirmation number or the system does not give you one, you will have to call TeleReply again or use a different method to report a nil remittance
What if I made a mistake while using TeleReply?
If you made a mistake while using TeleReply and you have not yet received a confirmation number, you can hang up and call TeleReply again, or use another method.
If you made a mistake while using TeleReply and have received a confirmation number, you cannot fix it using TeleReply. You need to contact the CRA using My Business Account or Represent a Client, or send a request to your tax centre.
After you use TeleReply
Keep your TeleReply confirmation number for your records, along with any documents supporting your nil remittance.
Report a nil remittance by mail
You can report a nil remittance by mail. If you are a regular or quarterly remitter, fill out the appropriate section of your Form PD7A, Statement of account for current source deductions, and send it to the Sudbury Tax Centre. You can also write a letter.
If you are sending a letter, include all of the following:
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: