What you need before you file
Before you (the TFSA issuer) use any of the filing methods, you must have a valid TFSA RZ program account number.
RZ program account number
The RZ program account number consists of three parts:
- the business number (BN),
- a two-letter program identifier (RZ), and
- a four-digit reference number.
The entire account number has 15 characters. If you already have a BN you only need to add the TFSA RZ program account number to your existing BN. You can obtain a TFSA RZ program account by filling out Form RC1, Request for a business number and certain program accounts.
Registration for the RZ program account number cannot be filled out online.
If a TFSA annual information return is filed with an invalid RZ program account number or if the RZ program account number does not match the information in our database, it will be rejected.
Business number (BN)
If you do not have a BN, you must first complete RC1, Request for a business number and certain program accounts, and submit it to us. You can submit a request by phone, or you can send the application by fax or by mail. For a list of addresses and fax numbers where the form can be sent, or to register for a BN online, go to Business Number (BN) registration. To register by phone, call 1-800-959-5525.
Web access code
To file your return over the Internet using either the Internet file transfer (XML) or Web Forms service, you will need a business number and its associated Web access code (WAC), unless you are filing through My Business Account or Represent a Client. For more information about these services, see Filing without an access code.
If you have misplaced or do not have a WAC, go to Filing Information Returns Electronically to access our web access code online service. If you cannot obtain your WAC online or would like to change it, call 1-800-959-5525.
Filing without a web access code
To register as a business owner, go to My Business Account and do the following:
- Select “CRA Register” and create a CRA user ID and password. You can also select “Continue to Sign-In Partner” and use the same sign-in information you use for other online services, such as online banking.
- To register, you will need to provide all of the following information:
- your social insurance number (SIN)
- your date of birth
- your postal code or ZIP code
- an amount you entered on your Income Tax and Benefit Return (the line we ask for will vary; it could be from the current or the previous tax year)
- your business number (BN)
- You must enter a CRA security code to finalize the registration process. You can ask for the CRA security code by paper mail or email.
- Return to My Business Account, to enter your CRA security code.
To register as a representative, including employees of a business, go to Represent a Client, and do the following:
- Select “CRA Register” and create a CRA user ID and password. You can also select “Continue to Sign-In Partner” and use the same sign-in information you use for other online services such as online banking.
- To register, you will need to provide:
- your access code from your notice of assessment
- your postal code or ZIP code
- Register as the business owner (using your BN) or as yourself and receive a representative identifier (RepID), or create a group of representatives and receive a group identifier (GroupID).
- Get authorization to have online access to the tax-free saving account (TFSA) by doing one of the following:
If the business authorizes you online in My Business Account, you will have immediate online access to the business accounts.
Once you are registered as the business owner, or registered and authorized as a representative, an employee, or a group of employees, you will be able to file or amend TFSA slips without a Web access code.
If there are rejected TFSA individual records, we will inform you by email.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: