Incarcerated individuals

Before you start

As a CVITP volunteer, you may assist incarcerated individuals, individuals who were previously incarcerated, or their spouses/common-law partners with completing their income tax and benefits returns.

Before you begin preparing a return, always ask if the individual has a spouse, common-law partner, or any dependants.

If an individual does not have some, or all, of their information slips, you may be able to complete their return(s) using Auto-fill my return (AFR). For more information, refer to Using Auto-fill my return service for 2018, 2019 and 2020 returns.

If the individual has a spouse or common-law partner, you must indicate whether you are completing a separate tax return for the spouse or common-law partner, or only reporting their net income on the individual’s return. For more information, refer to Individuals with a partner.

If the individual has dependants, be sure to add each dependant in UFile. Not including this information could affect the calculation of the family’s benefits and credits. For more information, refer to Individuals with a dependant.

When preparing a return for an incarcerated individual, it is important to be aware that their eligibility for certain benefits and credits may be affected by the period of incarceration. For more information on the eligibility of benefits and credits, please see Child and family benefits.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: