What to include with your return

Online return

Keep all of your receipts and related documents. The Canada Revenue Agency will contact you if they need them.

Paper return

Attach the following to your return:

  • a copy of your tax slips
  • Schedule 1, Federal Tax
  • Form 428 (for provinces and territories other than Quebec)
  • other supporting documents required

Even if you do not have to attach certain supporting documents to your return, keep them for your records.

How long should you keep your records?

Keep your supporting documents for six years. The Canada Revenue Agency may ask for supporting documents other than official receipts (such as cancelled cheques or bank statements), as proof of any deduction or credit you claim.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: