What is a T4 slip
T4 slip is a summary of your employment earnings and deductions for the year.
If you do not get your T4 slip by the end of February, ask your employer for a copy. If you cannot get a copy in time to complete your return, you may be able to view your tax information online using the My Account for Individuals service. Otherwise, use your pay stubs or statements to calculate your income and any deductions or credits you can claim.
Paul's T4 slip
Take a look at Paul's T4 slip. It includes:
- his employer's name
- the year in which he earned the income
- his name, address and social insurance number
- his employment income
- the employment insurance (EI) premiums and income tax deducted from his pay
Paul's T4 slip has an "X" in box 28. Paul was exempt from paying Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions because he was under 18 years of age.
Description of Paul’s T4 slip
- Employer’s name: Mario's Pizzeria
- Employee’s name and address: Lebrun, Paul, 123 Main Street, City, Province, X0X 0X0
- Year: 2018
- Box 12 (Social insurance number): 123456789
- Box 28: indicates CPP/QPP exempt
- Box 14 (Employment income – line 101): 1,440.00
- Box 18 (Employee’s employment insurance premiums – line 312): 27.07
- Box 22 (Income tax deducted – line 437): 211.28
- Box 26 (CPP/QPP pensionable earnings): 0.00
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: