Frequently asked questions for individuals

Table of contents

Getting an income tax return

  1. Where can you get a tax return and guide?

Before you file

  1. Is the 2017 General income tax and benefit package available on the CRA website?
  2. What is the deadline for making deductible registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) contributions for the 2016 tax year?
  3. When is your 2017 T1 return due?
  4. What if you don't have all your information slips?
  5. How do you get a social insurance number? (Service Canada website)
  6. What is the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program?
  7. How do you file a T1 return via the Internet using NETFILE?
  8. How do you file a T1 return electronically using EFILE?
  9. What are the average exchange rates?
  10. Why are some CRA forms unavailable on the website?
  11. Do you end up having to pay income tax when you file your tax return every year?

Where to mail a paper return

  1. Where do you mail a paper T1 (for individuals) return?

After you file

  1. How can you find out the status of your tax refund?
  2. How do you change your T1 return?
  3. How should you tell the CRA about your change of address?
  4. How should you tell the CRA about your change of name?
  5. What should you do if you owe taxes that you cannot pay right now?
  6. What's the penalty for missing the deadline to file your personal income tax return?
  7. What are the prescribed interest rates on overdue and overpaid taxes?
  8. How long should you keep your income tax records?
  9. Why do we review income tax returns?


  1. Where can you get information on child and family benefits?

About the tax system

  1. What are the income tax rates in Canada?
  2. What is the indexation adjustment for personal income tax and benefit amounts?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: