Submitting documents online – Processing Review Program
If you are asked to provide supporting documents by the Processing Review program, you or your authorized representative can send the documents to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) electronically using our secure online service portals (My Account or Represent a Client).
This secure and reliable service makes sending documents to the CRA easier and more efficient. It allows you to keep your original receipts, forms, and other documents. You will get a confirmation number and a reference number to use in future communications with the CRA.
IMPORTANT - Reference number required
In order to make sure that your documents reach the Processing Review program, enter your case or reference number (no spaces) from the letter you received.
You may also submit additional information after a review has been completed if it has been less than 3 years since the date of the notice of reassessment for the tax year reviewed.
My Account for individuals or Represent a Client
If you are not registered for My Account, go to My Account to register. Once you have completed the online registration, you should receive a CRA security code by mail within 5-10 days (15 days if you are outside Canada or the United States).
For step-by-step instructions on setting up your CRA user ID and password, go to Registration process to access the CRA login services.
After you receive your security code, return to My Account for Individuals and select the service you registered with. Follow the online instructions, and enter your security code when prompted. You will now be able to access all of the online services available. You can also authorize your representative online using the "Authorize my representative" service in My Account. Your authorized representative will be able to submit documents electronically on your behalf if you give them level 2 authorization.
You may submit documents on behalf of a client, family member or friend using Represent a Client. To register for this service, go to Represent a Client. Once you have registered as an individual or business, you will receive a representative identifier (RepID). The RepID identifies you as a registered representative with the CRA. Give it to your client, family member, or friend so they can authorize you to access their tax account.
To be able to submit documents electronically on behalf of a client, you have to have level 2 authorization.
- Use a resolution of 200 dpi (dots per inch) or lower when scanning your documents.
- Include several like documents in each file.
- Set your scanner's color scale to black and white to reduce the file size of your document.
- Save your files in a format that the CRA can accept.
- Common allowable file formats are: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .rtf, .txt, .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff, .tif, .xps.
- If more than one file is being uploaded, each file must have a unique name. We recommend including the line number from the return that relates to the saved document. For example: “Line 214_2016.jpg”.
- The total size of your submission cannot be more than 150MB.
- The maximum number of files that can be uploaded during a session is 10.
When scanning multiple receipts or documents to one page, ensure that they face in the same direction. If you are required to submit a large number of receipts and documents, or the scanned image is not clear, consider sending your documents by mail or fax.
Make sure that your scanned documents are clear and legible, and contain the requested information.
- Log into My Account or Represent a Client.
- Select “Submit document” and follow the instructions.
- Enter the tax year and the reference number found in the upper right corner of the letter received.
- Browse your hard drive to locate the files you have scanned and select one for upload.
- Enter a description of the file’s contents.
- Click the “Upload file” button.
- Select “Add another file” for each file you want to upload (maximum 10).
- Review the information on the screen.
- Click the “Confirm” button to submit the files you have uploaded.
- Keep the confirmation number you receive for your records.
For more information, go to Submit documents online.
After documents are submitted
Once your submission is accepted and the CRA gives you a confirmation number, we will scan all submitted files for viruses. Files that cannot be scanned for viruses will be securely deleted. We will contact you with instructions for submitting the file again using a different method.
If you have technical problems submitting your documents online, contact Individual tax enquiries for assistance.
If you have any questions about the letter received, contact us at the telephone number found at the bottom of the letter.
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: