Line 214 - Other situations

When completing the return of a person who died in 2016, claim eligible child care expenses that were paid while that person was living with the eligible child as if he or she was the only person supporting the child. However, if there was another person, that person is also considered the only person supporting the child and can claim eligible child care expenses paid while living with the child, as long as the expenses were not claimed on the return of another person.

If you lived outside Canada for part or all of 2016, and we consider you to be a factual or deemed resident of Canada, you can claim child care expenses that you paid to a non-resident person for services provided outside Canada.

For information on other circumstances in which you can claim child care expenses paid for services provided outside Canada (e.g., commuters to the United States), please contact the CRA.

If you immigrated to or emigrated from Canada in 2016, you can claim child care expenses for the period you were in Canada, as long as you otherwise qualify.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: