Food and beverages – Commission employee expenses

Note: Line 22900 was line 229 before tax year 2019.

You can deduct food and beverage expenses as long as your employer requires you to be away for at least 12 consecutive hours. To qualify, you must be away from the municipality and the metropolitan area (if there is one) of your employer's location where you normally reported for work.

The most you can deduct is 50% of the lesser of:

The 50% limit also applies to the cost of food, beverages, and entertainment you paid for when you travelled on an airplane, train, or bus, as long as the ticket price did not include such amounts.

Completing your tax return

Enter this amount plus any amount for Entertainment expenses on the Food, beverages, and entertainment expenses line (8523) of Form T777, Statement of Employment Expenses.

Enter on line 22900, the allowable amount of your employment expenses from the total expenses line of Form T777.

Forms and publications

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: