Employees of a transport business

You can claim the cost of meals and lodging (including showers) on Form TL2, Claim for Meals and Lodging Expenses, if you meet all of the following conditions:

If you meet these conditions, see Meals and lodging (including showers) for more details.

For more information on meal allowances and subsidized meals, see IC73-21R9, Claims for Meals and Lodging Expenses of Transport Employees.

Even if you do not meet all of the above conditions, you may still be able to claim the cost of meals and lodging you incur in the year. For more information, see Other transport employees for details.

If you are a long-haul truck driver, see Meal expenses of long-haul truck drivers.

If you travel to the United States as a transport employee, see Trips to the United States.


You must reduce your claim for meal and lodging expenses, by any non-taxable allowance or reimbursement you received or are entitled to receive from your employer.

Your employer has to sign Form TL2. You do not have to send this form with your return, but you should keep it in case the CRA asks to see it later.

You may be able to get a rebate of the GST/HST you paid. For more information, see Employee GST/HST Rebate.

Completing your tax return

Complete Form TL2, Claim for Meals and Lodging Expenses and claim your meal and lodging expenses on line 22900 of your return. If you still need help completing this form, please contact us by calling 1-800-959-8281.

Forms and publications

Related Topics

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: