Line 232 - Income amounts repaid
If in 2017 you repaid amounts you received and reported as income (other than salary or wages) for 2017 or a previous year, you can claim most of these amounts on line 232 of your return for 2017:
- old age security (OAS) benefits paid directly to Service Canada shown in box 20 of your T4A(OAS) slip;
- employment insurance (EI) benefits repaid to Service Canada or the payer of your benefits, and shown in box 30 of your T4E slip. If EI benefits were reduced to repay an amount, your T4E slip will show the net amount you received, so you cannot claim a deduction;
- Canada Pension Plan or Quebec Pension Plan benefits;
- scholarships, bursaries or research grants;
- retiring allowances;
- repayment of a shareholder's loan;
- repayments made by you in the year for a policy loan under a life insurance policy; and
- income from a registered disability savings plan.
Completing your tax return
Claim on line 232 the amounts you repaid. In the space to the left of the line, specify the deduction you are claiming. If you have more than one amount, or you want to explain your deduction more fully, attach a note to your paper return.
Keep all your documents in case we ask to see them later.
Filing a paper return
Attach your documents showing the amounts you repaid.
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: