Line 23200 – Other deductions: Income amounts repaid

Note: Line 23200 was line 232 before tax year 2019.

If you repaid amounts in 2021 that you received and reported as income (other than salary or wages) for 2021 or a previous year, you can claim most of these amounts on line 23200 of your 2021 return. However, if a court order made you repay support payments that you reported on line 12800 of your return, claim the repayment on line 22000 of your return.

You can claim most of these amounts on line 23200 of your return for 2021:

If you repaid an amount in 2021 that you received from a registered disability savings plan (RDSP) and reported it as income in 2021 or a previous year, you can claim the amount on line 23200 of your return. For more information, go to Registered Disability Savings Plan or see Guide RC4460, Registered Disability Savings Plan.

If you had an amount recovered from your gross old age security (OAS) pension in 2021 (shown in a letter or in box 20 of your T4A(OAS) slip) because of an overpayment you received before 2021, you can claim a deduction on line 23200 of your return for the amount you repaid.


You may have had an OAS recovery tax withheld from your 2021 OAS benefits. The amount deducted is shown in box 22 of your T4A(OAS) slip for 2021. Do not claim this amount on line 23200 of your return. Instead, use the chart for line 23500 of your Federal Worksheet to calculate your social benefits repayement at line 42200 and allowable deduction at line 23500. Claim the amount from box 22 of the T4A(OAS) slip on line 43700 of your return.

If you repaid employment income, see line 22900.

If you repaid interest earned on an income tax refund, see “Refund interest” under line 22100.

Completing your tax return

Claim on line 23200 the amounts you repaid. In the space to the left of the line, specify the deduction you are claiming. If you have more than one amount, or you want to explain your deduction more fully, attach a note to your paper return.

Supporting documents

Filing electronically
Keep all your documents in case the CRA asks to see them later.

Filing a paper return
Attach your documents showing the amounts you repaid.

Forms and publications

Related topics

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: