Line 23500 – Social benefits repayment: Old age security (OAS) benefits repayment
Note: Line 23500 was line 235 before tax year 2019.
If you had to repay OAS for 2019, tax may have been withheld from your OAS benefits for 2020. The amount deducted is included in box 22 of your T4A(OAS) slip for 2020. Do not claim that amount on line 23200 of your return. Claim it on line 43700 of your return. To calculate your 2020 OAS repayment, complete the chart for line 23500 on the Worksheet for the Return.
If your net income exceeded the threshold for 2020, and your net income for 2021 is expected to be substantially lower, you can request a waiver from the CRA to have Service Canada reduce your income tax withheld at source beginning in July 2021. The request must be made in writing. Send the CRA a completed Form T1213(OAS), Request to Reduce Old Age Security Recovery Tax at Source.
For more information, contact the CRA.
Completing your tax return
Complete the chart for line 23500 on the Worksheet for the return to calculate your repayment, even if tax was withheld by Service Canada.
Forms and publications
- Line 11300 – Old age security pension (OAS)
- Line 11700 – Universal child care benefit (UCCB)
- Line 12500 – Registered disability savings plan (RDSP) income
- Line 14600 – Net federal supplements
- Line 21300 – Universal child care benefit (UCCB) repayment
- Line 23200 – Other deductions
- Line 42200 – Social benefits repayment
- Line 43700 – Total income tax deducted
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: