Line 25400 - Capital gains deduction
Note: Line 25400 was line 254 before tax year 2019.
If you have capital gains arising from the disposition of certain properties, you may be eligible for the cumulative capital gains deduction, and may be able to reduce your taxable income. This section provides information on the deduction.
- Which gains are eligible?
The capital gains must arise from the disposition of qualified property.
- Who is eligible to claim the capital gains deduction?
Canadian residents are eligible. Read more.
- What is the deduction limit?
How is it calculated? How much can you claim?
- How do you claim the deduction?
Completing the appropriate forms and your tax return
- What are the requirements for affidavits and valuations?
For transfers of a small business, family farm or fishing corporation (Bill C-208)
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: