Elections Canada

Ticking the “Yes” boxes in the Elections Canada section is an easy way to keep your voter registration up to date, if you are qualified to vote. As well, Canadian youth aged 14 to 17 have the opportunity to add their names to the Register of Future Electors.

Elections Canada will use the information you provide to update the National Register of Electors, the database of Canadian citizens qualified to vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums, or the Register of Future Electors, if you are aged 14 to 17. The Register of Future Electors allows young Canadian citizens aged 14 to 17 to register before turning 18; once they turn 18 and their eligibility is confirmed, they are added to the National Register of Electors.

Elections Canada uses the information in the National Register of Electors to prepare lists of electors for federal elections and referendums, and to communicate with voters. Other uses of the information permitted under the Canada Elections Act include providing voter information to provincial and territorial electoral agencies for uses permitted under their respective legislations, and providing voter information (not including birth dates) to members of Parliament, registered and eligible political parties and candidates at election time.

Information in the Register of Future Electors cannot be shared with members of Parliament, registered or eligible political parties, or candidates. It can, however, be shared with those provincial and territorial electoral agencies who are allowed to collect future elector information under their respective legislation. It can also be used by Elections Canada to provide youth with educational information about the electoral process.

Only persons who have Canadian citizenship and are 18 years of age or older are qualified to vote. Generally, you are a Canadian citizen either by birth or if you have obtained Canadian citizenship through the formal process of becoming a Canadian citizen (naturalization). If you are unsure about your Canadian citizenship status, refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

These questions are optional. If you are a Canadian citizen and are 18 and over, you will not lose your right to vote, regardless of whether you answer the questions or leave them blank. The CRA does not use this information for the purpose of processing your return.

If you have Canadian citizenship and authorize the CRA to share your name, address, date of birth, and Canadian citizenship confirmation with Elections Canada, tick “Yes” to both questions. If you do not authorize the CRA to share your information with Elections Canada, tick “No” to question B. 

If you do not have Canadian citizenship, tick "No" to question A and leave question B blank.

If during the year you change your mind about the CRA sharing your information with Elections Canada, call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to remove your authorization. To be removed from either Register, contact Elections Canada.

If you tick "No" to question B

  • The CRA will not give any of your information to Elections Canada.
  • Elections Canada will not remove your information from either Register if your name is already there or from lists of electors if you are a Canadian citizen and are 18 and over.
  • If there is a federal election, by-election or referendum and you are a Canadian citizen and are 18 or over but not already registered with Elections Canada, you will have to register before you vote.
  • If you are a Canadian citizen and are not yet 18, you will need to take steps to register with Elections Canada after you turn 18 in order to vote.

Deceased persons

Do not complete this section for a deceased person. If you are completing a return for a deceased person who consented to provide information to Elections Canada on their last return, the CRA will notify Elections Canada who will then remove the deceased person's name from the relevant Register.

For more information visit Elections Canada or call 1-800-463-6868. Teletypewriter users can call 1-800-361-8935.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: