Elections Canada

Ticking yes in the “Elections Canada” section of your return is an easy way to keep your voter registration up to date, if you are qualified to vote. As well, Canadian youth aged 14 to 17 have the opportunity to add their names to the Register of Future Electors.

Elections Canada will use the information you provide to update the National Register of Electors (the database of Canadian citizens qualified to vote in federal elections, by-elections, and referendums) or, if you are 14 to 17 years of age, to update the Register of Future Electors. The Register of Future Electors allows young Canadian citizens aged 14 to 17 to register with Elections Canada before turning 18. Once they turn 18 and their eligibility to vote is confirmed, they are added to the National Register of Electors.

Elections Canada uses the information in the National Register of Electors to prepare lists of electors for federal elections, by-elections and referendums and to communicate with voters. Other uses of the information permitted under the Canada Elections Act include providing voter information to provincial and territorial electoral agencies for uses permitted under their respective legislation, and providing voter information (not including birth dates) to members of Parliament, registered and eligible political parties, and candidates at election time.

Information in the Register of Future Electors cannot be shared with members of Parliament, registered or eligible political parties, or candidates. However, it can be shared with the provincial and territorial electoral agencies that are allowed to collect future elector information under their respective legislation. It can also be used by Elections Canada to provide youth with educational information about the electoral process.

Only persons 18 years of age or older who have Canadian citizenship are qualified to vote. Generally, you are a Canadian citizen either by birth or if you have obtained Canadian citizenship through the formal process of becoming a Canadian citizen (naturalization). If you are unsure about your Canadian citizenship status, refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Questions A and B are optional. If you are a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older, you will not lose your right to vote regardless of whether you answer the questions or leave them blank. The CRA does not use this information for the purpose of processing your return.

If you have Canadian citizenship and authorize the CRA to share your name, address, date of birth, and Canadian citizenship confirmation with Elections Canada, tick yes to both questions. If you do not authorize the CRA to share your information with Elections Canada, tick no to question B.

If you do not have Canadian citizenship, tick no to question A and leave question B blank.

If during the year you change your mind about the CRA sharing your information with Elections Canada, call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to remove your authorization. To be removed from either Register, contact Elections Canada.

If you tick no to question B:

Deceased persons

If you are completing a return for a deceased person who consented to provide information to Elections Canada on their last return, the CRA will notify Elections Canada who will then remove the deceased person's name from the relevant Register.

For more information, visit Elections Canada or call 1-800-463-6868. Teletypewriter (TTY) users can call 1-800-361-8935.

Forms and publications

Page details

Date modified: