Line 101 - Emergency services volunteers

In 2018 you may have received a payment from an eligible employer, such as a government, a municipality, or another public authority for your work as a volunteer ambulance technician, a firefighter, a search and rescue volunteer, or other type of emergency worker.

The T4 slips issued by this authority will generally show only the taxable part of the payment in box 14 of your T4 slips, which is the part that is more than $1,000. If you provided volunteer emergency services for more than one employer, you can claim the $1,000 exemption for each of your eligible employers.

The exempt part of a payment is shown in box 87 of your T4 slips.

As an emergency services volunteer, you may qualify for the volunteer firefighters’ amount (VFA) or the search and rescue volunteers’ amount (SRVA). See lines 362 and 395.

If you are eligible for the $1,000 exemption and either the VFA or the SRVA, you must choose which one you would like to claim.

If you choose to claim the exemption, report only the amounts shown in box 14 of your T4 slips on line 101.

If the authority employed you (other than as a volunteer) for the same or similar duties or if you choose to claim the VFA or the SRVA, the full payment is taxable. You must add the amounts shown in boxes 87 and 14 of your T4 slips and report the result on line 101.

Completing your tax return

Report on line 101 the total of amounts shown in box 14 of all your T4 slips.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: