Line 11500 – Other pensions and superannuation:
Pensions from a foreign country

Note: Line 11500 was line 115 before tax year 2019.

Report in Canadian dollars your gross foreign pension income received in the year. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate in effect on the day that you received the pension. If you received the pension at different times during the year, use the average annual rate. The average monthly rate and the daily rate are available by visiting the Bank of Canada website.

Attach a note to your paper return identifying the type of pension you received and the country it came from. In some cases, amounts you receive may not be considered pension income and you may have to report them elsewhere on your return.

If there is a tax treaty with the country your pension is from, you can claim a deduction on line 25600 of your return for the part of your foreign pension income that is tax-free in Canada.

If you paid foreign taxes on your pension, you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit when you calculate your federal and provincial or territorial taxes (see line 40500). Do not subtract the taxes from your income when you report it.

Two common types of foreign pension are:

Completing your tax return

Report on line 11500 of your return your gross foreign pension income in Canadian dollars.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: