What is a principal residence?

Your principal residence can be any of the following types of housing units:

  • a house;
  • a cottage;
  • a condominium;
  • an apartment in an apartment building;
  • an apartment in a duplex; or
  • a trailer, mobile home, or houseboat.

A property has to qualify to be a principal residence.


If you filed a capital gains election on your principal residence, you will need the figures from your Form T664 or T664(Seniors), Election to Report a Capital Gain on Property Owned at the End of February 22, 1994, to calculate your reduction.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: