Do you have a gain or loss?

Usually, you have a capital gain or loss when you sell or are considered to have sold capital property. The following are examples of cases where you are considered to have sold capital property:

  • You exchange one property for another
  • You give property (other than cash) as a gift
  • Shares or other securities in your name are converted
  • You settle or cancel a debt owed to you
  • You transfer certain property to a trust
  • Your property is expropriated
  • Your property is stolen
  • Your property is destroyed
  • An option that you hold to buy or sell property expires
  • A corporation redeems or cancels shares or other securities that you hold (you will usually be considered to have received a dividend, the amount of which will be shown on a T5 slip)
  • You change all or part of the property's use
  • You leave Canada [see Leaving Canada (emigrants)]
  • The owner dies (see What to do when someone has died)

Also, depending on your own situation, you may or may not have a capital gain (or loss) when you dispose of personal-use property or Canadian securities.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: