Personal-use property

When you sell personal-use property, such as cars and boats, in most cases you do not end up with a capital gain. This is because this type of property usually does not increase in value over the years. As a result, you may end up with a loss. Although you have to report any gain on the sale of personal-use property, generally you are not allowed to claim a loss. For more information, see Personal-use property losses.

To calculate this gain or loss, follow these rules:


If you acquire personal-use property for donation to a qualified donee, in circumstances where it is reasonable to conclude that the acquisition of the property relates to an arrangement, plan, or scheme promoted by another person or partnership, the above rules do not apply. If this situation applies to you, calculate your capital gain or loss using the actual ACB and proceeds of disposition. For more information, see Calculating your capital gain or loss.

Completing your Schedule 3

Report these dispositions on line 15800 of Schedule 3.

Forms and publications

Related topics

Page details

Date modified: