What records do you have to keep?

You will need information from your records or supporting documents to calculate your capital gains or capital losses for the year. You do not need to include these documents with your income tax and benefit return as proof of any sale or purchase of capital property. However, it is important that you keep these documents in case the CRA asks to see them later.

If you own qualified farm or fishing property or qualified small business corporation shares, you should also keep a record of your investment income and expenses in case you decide to claim a capital gains deduction in the year of sale. You will need these amounts to calculate the cumulative net investment loss (CNIL) component of the capital gains deduction. You can use Form T936, Calculation of Cumulative Net Investment Loss (CNIL) to December 31, 2023, for this purpose.

In addition, you should keep a record of the fair market value of the property on the date you:

Related topics

Page details

Date modified: