Authorizing a representative – Overview

What is a representative?

As an individual or trust, your tax information is confidential. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) needs your authorization to deal with another person who would act as your representative.

A representative is a person or business that you authorize to deal with the CRA for you. This person could be your spouse or common-law partner, other family member, friend, or accountant.

You don't need to authorize a representative if they're only doing your taxes.


If you are a non-resident of Canada, go to Representatives for non-resident accounts.

If you want to authorize a representative for your business accounts, fill out Form RC59, Business Consent for Offline Access.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: