How to authorize a representative

How to give authorization to a representative

You can give the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) your authorization:

If your representative is a business and you don’t name an individual in that business as your representative, you are authorizing the CRA to deal with anyone from that business.

My Account

You can authorize, change, and view the representatives we have on your file using the Authorize my representative” service in My Account for Individuals.

By mail

Before you send your authorization by mail, make sure:

  • you have a valid account number with the CRA;
  • we have your current mailing address by visiting My Account for Individuals (if you are registered) or by calling us at 1-800-959-8281;
  • you read the instructions before completing Form T1013, Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative;
  • you fill out a separate form for each account (individual, trust or T5 filer) and for each representative;
  • you send us only one Form T1013 if you’re preparing tax returns for more than one year at the same time;
  • you or your legal representative (if applicable) has signed and dated the form. The legal representative must also tick the appropriate box indicating that they are a legal representative. If two or more legal representatives are acting jointly on the taxpayer’s behalf, each legal representative must sign the form.

Send the form to the tax centre listed on your notice of assessment or notice of reassessment.

The CRA will not process the form unless it is received within six months from the date it was signed.


If you have a "care of" address on your account, we will send you a letter asking you to call the CRA to authorize the online access.

Types of access

You can give your representative:

  • online access; or
  • telephone, and in-writing access (no online access).

Online access

If you want to give your representative online access to your file, your representative must first register at Represent a Client. You can give your representative online access to your information either:

Our online services do not have a year-specific option. Therefore, your representative will have access to your tax information for all tax years.

Telephone and in-writing access (no online access)

If you want your representative to deal with the CRA by telephone and in writing only, with no online access, fill out Parts 1, 2B, 3, and 5 of Form T1013, Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative.

By signing Form T1013, you are:

  • authorizing your representative to have access to your tax information;
  • giving the individual, group or business named on Form T1013 the authority to access your account and to act on your behalf.

Once the CRA has accepted your authorization, your representative will be able to deal with us through Represent a Client.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: