Your responsibilities

It is your responsibility to monitor and understand the transactions your representative completes on your behalf and to make sure that the information for your representative is current. By accessing My Account, you can view the transactions your representative made in your account. The CRA often adds new online services that your representative can access. It is your responsibility to review the services and decide if your representative should still be authorized to represent you. For a list of services available, go to  Representatives. If you feel your representative is not acting in your best interests, you should immediately remove their access to your information.

Under subsection 241(5) of the Income Tax Act, the CRA has the legal discretion to decide if it will disclose information about a taxpayer to another person upon the consent of the taxpayer.

Authorizing your representative

Before you sign Form T1013:

  • Ensure you have read and understood the information on the form.
  • You must indicate the level of access your representative may have:
    • Level 1 to disclose information only
    • Level 2 to disclose and request changes to information

By signing Form T1013:

  • You are authorizing a third party representative to have access to information regarding your tax account
  • You are giving the individual, group or business named on Form T1013 the authority to access your account (online if specified, via the telephone, or in writing), and to act on your behalf

For more information, go to How to grant authorization to a representative.

The form may only be signed by you or your legal representative(s). If the form is being signed by the legal representative(s), they must be listed on your account as a legal representative(s) or must submit valid legal documentation to show that they have been appointed as your legal representative(s).

If 2 or more legal representatives are acting jointly on the taxpayer's behalf, each legal representative is required to sign and enter the date in Part 5 of the form.

Managing your account

You should always know the names of the representative(s) authorized to deal with the CRA on your behalf. You can authorize, change, view or cancel the representatives the CRA have on your file, as well as the online transactions they have performed on your behalf, using the "Authorize my representative" option on My Account.

Make note of each authorization you give, so you can cancel them when they are no longer needed. For more information, go to How to cancel the authorization I previously granted to a representative.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: