Uncashed cheques from the Canada Revenue Agency
The Canada Revenue Agency is mailing out letters to select recipients who have used Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVTIP) clinics in the past, regarding uncashed cheques. If you received a letter, please follow the directions provided.
Individuals and their representatives can now view their uncashed cheques in My Account.
CRA cheques never expire or become stale-dated. You can cash your CRA cheque at any financial institution in Canada. There is no charge to cash your CRA cheque.
Never miss another payment
Use My Account to see if you have uncashed cheques
- Sign into or register for My Account.
- Select “Uncashed Cheques” on the My Account “Overview” page.
- If you no longer have the original cheque displayed, you or your legal representative can ask for a duplicate payment by filling out Form PWGSC 535, Undertaking and Indemnity.
- Submit the filled out form through “Submit documents” in My Account or mail the form to:
Sudbury tax centre
Post Office Box 20000, Station A
Sudbury ON P3A 5C2
Instructions to fill out form 535
- Print and fill out the form.
- Sign and date the form.
- Enter your name and address under the signature.
- Have a non-family member witness, sign and date the form.
- Witness must enter their name and address under the signature.
- If the form is not filled out correctly, it will be returned to you.
- To avoid delays in processing, send only one form for each uncashed cheque.
- Find out how long it should take us to process a request for a duplicate payment: check CRA processing times tool.
Receiving your payment:
- If you are registered for direct deposit, your payment will be deposited into your account.
- If you are not registered for direct deposit, a cheque will be mailed to the address we have on file.
- If you owe an amount to the CRA, part or all of your payment may be applied to your debt. Any remaining amount will be issued to you as a new payment.
Lost, stolen, or destroyed cheques
If your CRA cheque is lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can ask for a duplicate payment in one of two ways:
- Sign into My Account and selecting “Uncashed Cheques”.
- Call the CRA using the individual tax and benefit enquiries lines. The CRA will verify your account and will send you forms to fill out. A replacement payment will be issued after the verification is complete.
Cashing original cheques
Government cheques never expire or stale-date, so you can cash any cheques you have. If you are having issues cashing an old CRA cheque, mail the cheque to the Imaging and Receiver General Operations Directorate and ask to have the payment reissued with a current date.
Imaging and Receiver General Operations Directorate
PO Box 2000
Matane QC G4W 4N5
Cheques issued to a deceased individual
If you have a CRA cheque that was issued to a deceased individual, give the cheque to the person managing their tax affairs, or return the cheque to the Imaging and Receiver General Operations Directorate at the address given above.
If you are managing the tax affairs of a deceased person, deposit the cheque into the estate account and complete their final tax return.
Telephone numbers – Canada Revenue Agency
- Individual tax enquires line: 1-800-959-8281
- Benefit enquiries line: 1-800-387-1193
- Outside Canada and the U.S.: 613-940-8495
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: