Language selection


COVID-19 wage and hiring support for businesses

What the changes are

On this page

New programs providing wage subsidies

The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) ended effective October 23, 2021 and was replaced by 2 new programs.

You may continue to apply for the claim periods that are still open, but there are no new CEWS periods after claim period 21, which ended on October 23, 2021.

The Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP) has been extended to May 7, 2022.

Starting on October 24, 2021, you may qualify for wage support through the:

  • Tourism and Hospitality Recovery Program (THRP);
  • Hardest-Hit Business Recovery Program (HHBRP); or the
  • Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP)

If you are eligible for both the CRHP and one of the other wage subsidies, apply for the subsidy that gives you the higher amount.

If your business activities are significantly affected by a qualifying public health restriction, you may be eligible for support through the THRP even if you are not a qualifying tourism or hospitality entity.

What is a qualifying public health restriction

Many of the THRP and HHBRP rules about who can apply, which employees you can include, and how to calculate the subsidy are the same as they were for the CEWS.

The THRP and the HHBRP also include a rent subsidy

If you are eligible to apply for both a wage subsidy and a rent subsidy, you must apply for them separately.

Find out how the rent subsidy has changed

New rule for publicly traded companies

If you are a publicly traded company or a subsidiary of such a company, you are not entitled to any wage subsidy for a claim period in which you paid taxable dividends to an individual who is a holder of common shares of the company or of the subsidiary of the company.

More details about this change will be provided soon.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: