Do not discuss your application with others (including on social media) besides your partner, or close family members - who should also be reminded about the need to be discreet.
|Who Can Apply||Canadian Citizens|
|Salary Range||$84,050 - $102,250|
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is looking for a Database Administrator to join our talented database team in support of our mandate to ensure the safety of all Canadians.
This position is responsible for the availability, integrity, accessibility and performance of all the database systems at CSIS by supporting, enhancing, administering and maintaining our corporate databases. Core responsibilities include:
- SQL product installation, maintenance and configuration
- Hands-on experience of managing SQL server
- Significant experience migrating/updating databases and their associated applications.
- Perform database space management and monitoring
- Implement requirements for backup and recovery and ensure successful nightly recoverable backups of all databases
- Create and maintain database structures
- Execute Database recovery procedures in case of either Hardware or Software problems.
- Perform database reorgs, statistic updates and other applicable utilities to ensure proper database function and performance.
- Monitor and tune databases to ensure optimal performance based on database and operating statistics
- Perform problem investigation, resolution and provide support for applications and developers
- Migration of new and/or changed database objects into the various environments.
- Perform ETL design, generation and implementation for the management of application data
- Maintain and implement database security
- Provide and maintain jobs/scripts in support of maintaining the physical aspects for the databases and the database management systems
- Provide recommendations on application design guidelines for database access
- Undergraduate degree* or Master’s degree*; or
- Technologist diploma*; or
- Professional technologist equivalency designation; or
- College diploma*; or
- Secondary school diploma.
* Fields of study: Computer science, electrical, electronics, network security, telecommunications, or engineering and related fields of study.
The educational program must be from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada.
If you completed a program outside of Canada you will be required to obtain proof of a Canadian equivalency at your expense through a recognized credential assessment service.
Note: Any higher level of education could be recognized as experience.
Undergraduate degree or Master’s degree* and three (3) years experience*; or
- Technologist diploma and four (4) years experience*; or
- Professional technologist equivalency designation and four (4) years experience*; or
- College diploma six (6) years experience*; or
- Secondary school diploma and seven (7) years experience*.
*Experience is defined as performing the design, development and support of RDBMS and non-relational data stores using one of the following technologies: MS SQL server, Oracle, Hadoop, MySQL, and DB2
Candidates must also possess:
- Three (3) years of recent experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (or later)
- Three (3) years of recent experience using database principles (design, security, types of objects and when to use them)
- Experience working with and manipulating database system using SQL query language, including the creation/modification of stored procedures and views.
- Experience with data modeling such as designing, creating or modifying physical database models.
- Experience in problem solving, troubleshooting and analyzing database issues and/or problems and to take appropriate corrective action.
- Experience in the development and communication of policies, procedures and/or standards related to IT and technical concepts to non-technical clients.
- Experience in researching and/or applying current trends, methodologies, standards, practices and/or products in an IT environment.
- Experience with implementing data encryption
- Experience with Cloud data infrastructure
- Communication Skills
Conditions of Employment
Technology Market Modifier designated positions; therefore, successful candidates will be eligible to the Technology Market Modifier.
While we continue to explore opportunities for flexible work arrangements, the majority of work in our organization must be done in the office and cannot be performed at home.
A competency-based interview, a written exam and reference check may be administered to retained applicants. To know more about our process, please visit: Job Requirements- Canada.ca
Candidates should note that non-imperative staffing may be considered in situations where it can contribute to closing representation gaps in employment equity groups.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
As a separate employer, CSIS has implemented a Directive on COVID-19 vaccination that is consistent with the overall Government of Canada approach to the COVID-19 vaccination of public servants. Applicants to this staffing process should be aware that all employees of CSIS are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act. As such, all persons to be appointed to CSIS will be required to attest to their vaccination status no later than on their first day of employment.
CSIS is committed to building a workforce that is truly representative of the Canadians it serves by cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. This will be achieved by increasing employment equity group representation (including persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, and women) at all levels within the organization through hiring and talent management practices. We will also ensure that appropriate accommodations are made (e.g., specialized equipment, changes to physical workspace) to provide employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. In support of achieving a greater, diverse and skilled workforce, we strong encourage those individuals who belong to one or more of the employment equity groups to self-identify when applying.
Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: