IT Software Developer
Do not discuss your application with others (including on social media) besides your partner, or close family members - who should also be reminded about the need to be discreet.
|Who Can Apply||Canadian Citizens|
|Salary Range plus Allowance||
$79,142 - $96,268 $89,934 - $109,408
|Allowance||This position is eligible for the Technology Market Modifier, which is valued at 7% of the basic annual salary ($73,970 - $89,970 and $84,050 - $102,250). The above includes the 7% Market Modifier.|
|Status||Indeterminate (permanent) or Term|
Welcome to the first step in creating your opportunity of working with a group of enthusiastic professionals and leading edge technology where the challenges never cease! We are passionate about technology, career growth, and enjoy the challenge of a fast-paced work environment, where learning from experiences and thinking outside the box is applauded on our journey to master our craft. We emphasize team spirit and the building of partnerships around the world in order to provide Canadian branded solutions where they are needed, and to learn from global perspectives and methodologies. We don’t just work with partners thoughout our building, we work with the world.
Our specific development shop is responsible for the creation of innovative solutions that enable technical investigations authorized by a federal court warrant. We are renowned for achieving the impossible and for enabling technical vision and work in areas such as innovative capability creation, reverse engineering, and software test automation.
It’s not easy trying to accomplish the impossible each day, but if you…
- Have a solid technical background,
- Have a need to create high impact solutions,
- Enjoy the freedom to try new things, and
- Desire an ever-growing sense of purpose…
You’re in the right place!
What We Offer
- Ownership – of your project, your part of a project, the risks and the rewards.
- Applause when things go wrong for the right reasons.
- Opportunity to master your craft.
- Partnerships with everyone on the team including senior management.
- Most importantly, purpose in everything that you will do.
What You Will Do
- Support us by being part of the constant improvements taking place with our cultural values that embrace diversity, team spirit, collaboration and working hard each day to keep all our families, friends and fellow Canadians safe (Counter Terrorism) and prosperous (Counter Intelligence).
- Work directly with intelligence professionals to fully understand their needs and how they conduct technical investigations in order to build new features and/or applications that shape the direction of R&D.
- Interact with others who have a similar role at other departments around the world in order to exchange capabilities, new ideas and best practice methodologies.
- Write structured, tested, readable and maintainable code.
- Participate in an Agile environment.
- Support your teammates by continuing to learn and grow as you master your craft
- Plan and guide development activities.
- Mentor and collaborate with team members.
- Design and implement systems, software and infrastructure to meet project requirements.
- Identify evolving business requirements and plan future technical capabilities.
- Design detailed technical specifications.
- Stay abreast of trends and best practices in software system design.
- Support existing applications by resolving problems and implementing enhancements.
What You Will Bring
- Your exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Top-notch communication skills.
- A mission-oriented mindset and a desire to never stop learning.
- Recent experience completing the analysis of client or business requirements and providing estimates (time and cost) as part of delivery plans of technical solutions.
- Recent experience contributing to technical design of software systems.
- Recent experience troubleshooting technical issues and supporting components of an IT environment.
- Recent experience in software or web development using one or more of the following: Python, Perl, Java, C#, C, C++, Swift, Assembler, Bash or Shell, HTML, ASP, JSP.
- Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, with a software or network/computer security focus.
- A technologist diploma or a Professional technologist equivalency designation with a software or network/computer security focus may be accepted.
- A combination of education, training and experience in technology may also be accepted.
The educational program needs to be from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada. If you completed a program outside of Canada, no problem we will work with you to obtain the required proof of Canadian equivalency.
Note: Any higher level of education could be recognized as experience.
Undergraduate or Master’s degree in a related field and three (3) years of related experience for all streams.
- Underfill – one (1) year of related experience.
Technologist diploma or Professional technologist equivalency designation and four (4) years of related experience for all streams.
- Underfill – two (2) years of related experience.
Related experience is defined as recent* and significant** experience.
Relevant experience is defined as;
- Three (3) years of experience in leading or executing design and development activities within the last five (5) years (senior level)
And / OR
- Two (2) years of experience performing software development in a coding or designing capacity within the last five (5) years (intermediate level)
- Experience with network packet analysis (e.g. Wireshark)
- Knowledge of internet protocols and communication technology (TCP/IP, UDP, IPv4, IPv6, etc.)
- Experience designing and configuring networks and devices (routers, switches, etc.)
- Knowledge of internet architecture (domain names, DNS, user agents)
- Knowledge of web protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, REST APIs)
- Experience with Linux environments and Bash scripting (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Fedora, etc.)
- Experience with Windows Server
- Software development, testing, and/or troubleshooting:
- Experience with Virtual Machine (VM) technology
- Experience troubleshooting software and/or hardware issues by analyzing log data
- Experience in Linux/Unix programming
- Mobile (Android/iOS) development experience is considered an asset
- Knowledge of anonymization technologies (Virtual Private Network (VPN), Tails, Tor browser)
- Knowledge of encryption technologies (SSL, RSA, AES, etc.)
- Knowledge of PSP technology (Avast, Kaspersky, etc.)
- Experience with mobile OS: Android / iOS (iPhones, iPads, etc.)
- Experience with the Windows environment (7, 8, 10), Mac OSX
- Knowledge of telecommunication network technologies (LTE/VoLTE, ADSL/Cable, Wi-Fi)
- Knowledge / experience in subscriber information (ICCID, IMEI, IMSI, etc.)
To present the best you possible, please ensure that you include in your cover letter information that supports and aligns with the “What You Will Bring” and “Assets” sections above
- Problem Solving
Conditions of Employment
Various language requirements:
- English Essential
- Bilingual non-imperative (BBB/BBB)
Note: For bilingual non-imperative positions, offers will be conditional upon meeting the linguistic requirements within two (2) years of appointment.
A written examination will be administered as a screening tool in order to assess the candidates’ relevant technical knowledge.
Some relocation expenses may be reimbursed.
Working remotely on unclassified R&D is possible for some of our positions. While we continue to explore opportunities for flexible work arrangements, the majority of work in our organization must be done in the office and cannot be performed at home.
We are a family first organisation that stresses the importance of work/life balance. There is the ability to move through various positions throughout your career and opportunities to travel when working with partners to create solutions that benefit the Intelligence Community.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
CSIS is committed to building a workforce that is truly representative of the Canadians it serves by cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. This will be achieved by increasing employment equity group representation (including persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, and women) at all levels within the organization through hiring and talent management practices. We will also ensure that appropriate accommodations are made (e.g., specialized equipment, changes to physical workspace) to provide employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. In support of achieving a greater, diverse and skilled workforce, we strongly encourage those individuals who belong to one or more of the employment equity groups to self-identify when applying.
Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: