Technical Support Officer
Do not discuss your application with others (including on social media) besides your partner, or close family members - who should also be reminded about the need to be discreet.
|Who Can Apply||Canadian Citizens|
Burnaby, British Columbia
|Salary Range||$73,970 - $89,970|
|Language Requirement||Bilingual Imperative (BBB)
Technical Support Officers are responsible for the set-up, implementation and maintenance of IT infrastructure components, and for the operational and technical support for investigations.
The incumbent will be called upon to find solutions and deploy the necessary equipment and circuits to provide customer support (computers, fiber, servers, software, etc) with the end goal of advancing investigations.
Candidates will provide high-quality, timely and professional services and technical support in a highly dynamic and changing environment, including:
- Evaluate the performance of existing systems. Plan and direct upgrades and improvements. Troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Analyse and synthesize to identify problem patterns, perform research and make recommendations to improve the reliability and maintainability of systems.
- Liaise with peers and clients to resolve escalated technical issues.
- Participate as a technical advisor/consultant on divisional projects and strategic planning.
- Provide training to colleagues.
- Maintain technical knowledge and stay current on work related emerging technologies and best practices.
- Recommend improvements to procedures and guidelines related to systems and support services.
Undergraduate relevant degree, Technologist diploma, or
College diploma/Quebec Cegep diploma of college studies and two (2) years of related experience*
Field of studies:
- Computer Science
- Network Security
- Telecommunications or Engineering
The educational program must be from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada.
If you completed a program outside of Canada you will be required to obtain proof of a Canadian equivalency at your expense from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada.
Note: Any higher level of related education could be recognized as experience.
Related experience is defined as 2 years of recent experience** in at least two (2) of the following disciplines:
- Computer hardware and hardware tools (Windows, computer support, maintenance of equipment and peripherals)
- Internet protocols
- Telecommunication technologies (telephone and distribution switches, wired telephony, cellular and VoIP, cellular waves - GSM and LTE, Wi-Fi, etc.).
- Analysis and troubleshooting
- Practical experience with a telecommunications provider, or similar
- Knowledge or experience of the following:
- Windows server
- Server maintenance
- Network administration
- Wiring and wiring distribution
- Project management
**Recent experience is defined as having worked directly with the technologies in question within the last four (4) years.
- Interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
- Customer service
Conditions of Employment
Employees appointed indeterminately following a hiring process shall remain in their new position for two (2) years.
Employees must possess and maintain a valid and permanent Canadian driver's license for the duration of their employment in that position.
Flexibility is required in relation to the work schedule that may extend beyond core hours of work based on operational requirements
While we continue to explore opportunities for flexible work arrangements, the majority of work in our organization must be done in the office and cannot be performed at home.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The position is designated CS; therefore, the employee may be eligible for a terminable allowance.
Some relocation expenses may be reimbursed by the Service.
Official Language Proficiency
- The immediate need is to staff this position with a linguistic profile of Bilingual imperative BBB/BBB in Montreal, and English essential in Halifax. An offer will be made to a qualified candidate who meets the linguistic requirements.
- Clearly demonstrate in your resume and cover letter how you meet each Education and Experience criteria.
- Provide concrete examples which illustrate how you meet each qualification.
- Include where, when and how these qualifications were acquired.
- Failure to do so will result in the screening out of your application.
- Make yourself available for the Career Opportunity process or withdraw from the selection process.
Note: Human Resources will only send an invitation to applicants who screened-in
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
CSIS is committed to building a workforce that is truly representative of the Canadians it serves by cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. This will be achieved by increasing employment equity group representation (including persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, and women) at all levels within the organization through hiring and talent management practices. We will also ensure that appropriate accommodations are made (e.g., specialized equipment, changes to physical workspace) to provide employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. In support of achieving a greater, diverse and skilled workforce, we strong encourage those individuals who belong to one or more of the employment equity groups to self-identify when applying.
Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: