Student and CO-OP: Science and Research
Do not discuss your application with others (including on social media) besides your partner, or close family members - who should also be reminded about the need to be discreet.
|Who Can Apply||Canadian Citizens|
|Salary Range||Hourly Salary|
|Status||Term - 4 to 16 months|
(Periods during which applications are accepted)
Work term: Summer 2024
When to apply: February 1, 2023, to May 31, 2023
Work term: Fall 2024
When to apply: June 1, 2023, to September 29, 2023
Work term: Winter 2025
When to apply: October 3, 2023, to January 31st, 2024
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is looking for students who thrive on tackling diverse challenges in a unique environment. If you are up for the challenge and want to join one of our highest performing teams, there is no doubt that your contributions to CSIS will provide a meaningful impact to our mission of helping keep Canadians safe against national security threats. The Service is building a workforce which is representative of the Canadian society and foster diversity and inclusion. Also, it is dedicated to establish positive policies and practices related to hiring, training, promoting and retaining designated group members ensuring that employment-related needs of all persons are reasonably accommodated.
CSIS offers opportunities for students to gain valuable experience in science and technology, with the possibility to return for multiple placements in different areas. Students will be given the opportunity to cultivate their skills and knowledge by being paired with experienced employees who will provide feedback during the work term. They will have the opportunity to broaden their knowledge and experience before choosing a career specialization.
Placement will provide opportunities in the following areas:
- Hands on work experience with projects
- Teamwork and individual contributions
- Exposure to knowledgeable and passionate subject matter experts
- Collaborative work environments
- Improve time and project management skills
- Diverse work force
Candidates must be currently enrolled in a graduate level science program (Masters or Doctorate Level).Subject areas of interest include but are not limited to:
- Applied Science
Candidates with experience with the following is preferable:
- Interpreting research specifications and developing a work plan that satisfies requirements.
- Conducting desktop research, and using multiple sources to gather data.
- Analyzing and interpreting patterns and trends.
- Anticipating research issues and promptly resolving them.
- Writing proposals and delivering presentations when required.
- Planning and conducting experiments
- Processing and analyzing results and data
- Collaborating with industry/academia to apply the results of research and develop new techniques, products or practices
- Working in multidisciplinary teams, with academia or industry.
- Analytical Skills
- Client Service
Conditions of Employment
Applicants must be registered as a full-time, post-secondary student in an accredited academic institution recognized in Canada. Priority consideration will be given to those enrolled in an accredited co-op/internship program.
How to submit application:
Applicants MUST include the following information in their cover letter in order to be given further consideration:
|Name of Student:
Graduation date (month and year):
Program of Study:
Post secondary institution:
- Location of interest. Please note you can only select one (1). Available locations are indicated at the top.
- Travel costs benefits may apply. Further information will be disclosed during the interview process.
- Job Category – Applying for a co-op placement, internship (specific to current program enrollment) or student job.
- Field of interest, as indicated in experience.
- Availability of your work term (4, 8, 12 or 16 months)?
- Your current year of study and expected graduation date.
Tips for your Cover Letter and Resume:
- Tell us your story: why do you want to work for CSIS?
- Work objectives.
- Technical abilities (where applicable).
- Volunteer or work Experience (where applicable).
- Projects (where applicable).
Various Language Requirements
We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Second language evaluation tests might be administered.
At CSIS, we are not looking to simply fill student placement positions every four months. Our program is designed to identify and develop potential full-time employees.
Candidates are asked to apply once, due to the high volume of applications.
Failure to provide the requested information may result in the rejection of your application.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
CSIS is committed to building a workforce that is truly representative of the Canadians it serves by cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. This will be achieved by increasing employment equity group representation (including persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, and women) at all levels within the organization through hiring and talent management practices. We will also ensure that appropriate accommodations are made (e.g., specialized equipment, changes to physical workspace) to provide employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. In support of achieving a greater, diverse and skilled workforce, we strongly encourage those individuals who belong to one or more of the employment equity groups to self-identify when applying.
Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: