Student Co-op: Administrative Support
ImportantDo not discuss your application with others (including on social media) besides your partner, or close family members - who should also be reminded about the need to be discreet.
|Who Can Apply||Canadian Citizens|
Burnaby, British Columbia
|Salary Range||Hourly Salary|
|Status||Term - 4 to 16 months|
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is looking for students who thrive on tackling diverse challenges in a unique environment. If you are up for the challenge and want to join one of our highest performing teams, there is no doubt that your contributions to CSIS will provide a meaningful impact to our mission of helping keep Canadians safe against national security threats.
CSIS offers opportunities for students to gain valuable experience in providing a range of administrative support services in various departments of the organization, with the possibility to return for multiple placements in difference areas. Students will be given the opportunity to cultivate their skills and knowledge by being paired with experienced employees who will provide feedback during the work term. They will have the opportunity to broaden their knowledge and experience before choosing a career specialization.
Students will assist with tasks that include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the unit Head/DG by examining, analyzing, coordinating, prioritizing and organizing the administrative support work for the Branch;
- Prepare and process various administration requests;
- Maintain the Branch's budget;
- Provide management with relevant and useful data (ex: budget, performance evaluation, training, human resources, etc.) by developing and maintaining various systems;
- Liaise with managers/employees on expenditures by ensuring that they comply with policies and regulations and that funds are available;
- Act as a resource person by providing advice and policy interpretation to managers, employees and external candidates;
- Schedule and coordinate meetings with other enabling branches and/or clients and/or stakeholders;
- Prepare meeting documents and take minutes of internal meetings.
Undergraduate degree programs or College diploma in a related field including but not limited to:
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Social Sciences
- Office Administration
Candidates with the following experience is preferable:
- Experience in administrative support functions (for example, functions where planning, organizing and coordinating activities/actions are required).
- Ability to Learn
- Organizational Skills/Multi-tasking
Conditions of Employment
Students must be recognized as having full-time student status. Priority consideration will be given to those enrolled in an accredited co-op/internship program.
In their cover letter (which will be used as a screening tool), applicants must clearly demonstrate:
- they are applying for a co-op/internship program or as an independent student;
- their interest for a 4, 8, 12 or 16 month work term;
- their language proficiency in the second official language;
- their interest to work for CSIS.
In their résumés, applicants must provide full information about their school, work and volunteer experience in the past five years.
Failure to provide complete information may result in rejection of your application.
Second language evaluation tests might be administered.
Various language requirements include:
- English Essential (EE/AE)
- Bilingual Imperative (BBB/BBB)
Work terms are located in Ottawa. Certain positions may be available in a regional office. Relocation costs are not covered by CSIS.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
CSIS is committed to diversity and inclusion and the equitable participation of all Canadians. Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: