Student Co-op: Computer Science / Engineering / Information Technology
ImportantDo not discuss your application with others (including on social media) besides your partner, or close family members - who should also be reminded about the need to be discreet.
|Reference Number||20- 968-COOP-IT-03|
|Who Can Apply||Canadian Citizens|
Burnaby, British Columbia
|Salary Range||Hourly Salary|
|Status||Term - 4 to 16 months|
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is looking for students who thrive on tackling diverse challenges in a unique environment. You will have the opportunity to contribute and influence projects deliverable that supports the collection, processing, analysis, storage, and safeguarding of CSIS’ classified and unclassified information. You may be exposed to specialized security intelligence related technologies, systems and equipment. Specific duties cannot be divulged during the recruiting process, however they will be unlike any other opportunities out there. If you are up for the challenge and want to join one of our highest performing teams, there is no doubt that your contributions to CSIS will provide a meaningful impact to our mission of helping keep Canadians safe against national security threats.
CSIS currently offers opportunities for students to gain valuable experience in the following areas:
- Hands on work experience with projects
- Teamwork and individual contributions
- Exposure to knowledgeable and passionate subject matter experts
- Collaborative work environments
- Improve your time and project management skills
- Diverse work force
Undergraduate degree or College diploma (3 year) programs including but not limited to:
- Computer Science
- Computer and Electrical Engineering
- Engineering in technical areas
- Network Security
- Information Technology
CSIS offers a wide variety of technical opportunities for students with the possibility to return for multiple placements in different areas. Students will be given the opportunity to cultivate their skills and knowledge by being paired with experienced employees who will provide feedback during the work term. They will have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experience before choosing a career specialization. The positions available will provide an opportunity to work in one or more of the following fields:
- Perform development and/or integration of software systems using Pega Business Process Management (BPM) rules engine.
- Build tools, APIs, native or web based frontends.
- Interact with end users and provide recommendations to improve their user experiences.
- Participate in designing, programming, testing, documenting and optimizing solutions.
- Learn best practices through mentorship and code review.
- Support or modernize legacy applications.
- Develop tools for the delivery and processing of telecommunications data.
- Test and maintain mobile devices using networking protocols and software development tools.
- Analyze and configure LAN/WAN communications networks and appliances.
- Maintenance, support and administration of LAN/WAN.
- Research latest security practices, validate operational tools and make recommendations for improvements to standard practices.
- Application of network security best practices involving commercial hardware and software.
- Develop software tools and scripts for system security audits.
- Assess/provide/use/validate secure network infrastructure for technical solutions to be used operationally.
- Vulnerability testing of products or software, proof of concepts, refining requirements and conducting research.
- Installation, configuration and support of security related products.
- Conduct in depth security assessments such as Statements of Sensitivity (SOS), Security Reviews, Threat and Risk Assessments (TRA) and Certification & Accreditations (C&A) or Security Assessment and Authorization (SA&A).
IT Infrastructure Support
- Provide operational infrastructure services that enable the collection of intelligence in order to advance CSIS’ investigations.
- Create and sustain a centralized operational environment that offers high performance and high speed networks through the development of a core set of services of cost-effective, scalable and adaptive infrastructure.
- Maintenance, support and administration for elements in an Enterprise environment: Linux/Windows servers, virtualization technologies (VMware, OpenStack); storage technologies (Storage Area Network, Network Attached Storage, backups/restores); identity and access management (LDAP, Active Directory); web infrastructure.
Specialized Intelligence Collection Systems
- Validate the functionality of technical solutions to ensure the capabilities will be effective in an operational environment
- Provide/use/validate secure network infrastructure for technical solutions to be used operationally
- Investigate, troubleshoot and determine remedial action to issues reported by clients.
- Configure and deploy various solutions involving networking equipment, computers, software applications and tools
Embedded Systems Programming/Hardware
- Work with analog and digital electronic circuits and troubleshooting hardware/software/firmware within embedded systems.
- Assist with testing and evaluation of systems to ensure they meet their functional and operational requirements.
- Analyze test results and track issues resolution to ensure that systems can be successfully deployed operationally with high confidence.
- Experience with microcontroller architecture (Raspberry Pi, Arduino), embedded PC hardware or VME based single board computers, ARM architectures, CAD design tools (Solidworks), FPGA synthesis tools, CNC programming and circuit simulation software.
Quality Assurance and Testing
- Data assurance: Work with ensuring data quality in a processing system for collection, organization, filtering, triaging, and reporting of data types collected using various techniques on a big data system in a complex distributed, mission critical system.
- Assist with testing and evaluation of systems to ensure they meet their user requirements.
- Coordinate with development and operational teams to identify valuable tests and writing/developing new test cases and participate in continuous improvement testing.
- Analyze test results and track issues until resolution.
- Gain experience and exposure to tools and systems that directly support the collection, processing, storage, handling and safeguarding.
- Install, configure, monitor and support databases, performing database backups, restores/refreshes.
- Advise/assist developers in database design and queries best practices.
Specific to Co-op Program:
- Ability to Learn
Specific to Job:
- Problem Solving
- Analytical Skills
- Team Work
- Client Service
Conditions of Employment
Students must be recognized as having full-time student status. Priority consideration will be given to those enrolled in an accredited co-op/internship program.
In their cover letter (which will be used as a screening tool), applicants must clearly demonstrate:
- the school they attend;
- they are applying for a co-op/internship program or as an independent student;
- their interest for a 4, 8, 12 or 16 month work term;
- their language proficiency in the second official language;
- their interest to work for CSIS;
- their work objectives;
- their technical abilities (where applicable).
Applicants must also describe current experience in (where applicable):
- programming and scripting languages - including type and duration of training (e.g. one 4 month university course, one 1 week online course, three 4 month college courses), frequency of use (e.g. weekly, monthly, haven't used in past year) and location of use (e.g. school, workplace, personal project)
- Business Process Management (BPM) solution development
- database administration
- information security
- infrastructure support
- data analytics
- software applications (e.g. versions and duration of use)
In their résumés, applicants must provide clear information about their education, work and volunteer experience in the past five years.
Failure to provide complete information may result in rejection of your application.
Various language requirements include:
- English Essential (EE/AE)
- Bilingual Non Imperative (BBB/BBB)
- Bilingual Imperative (BBB/BBB)
Work terms are located in Ottawa. Certain positions may be available in a regional office. Relocation costs are not covered by CSIS.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
CSIS is committed to diversity and inclusion and the equitable participation of all Canadians. Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: