EI Regular Benefits - What you need before you start
4. What you need before you start
To complete the online EI application for EI regular benefits, you will need the following personal information:
- your Social Insurance Number (SIN). If your SIN begins with a 9, you need to supply proof of your immigration status and work permit.
- your mother’s maiden name.
- your mailing and residential addresses, including the postal codes.
- your complete banking information to sign up for direct deposit, including the financial institution name, bank branch number, and account number
- names, addresses, dates of employment, and reason for separation for all your employers over the last 52 weeks
- your detailed version of the facts (if you quit or have been dismissed from any job in the last 52 weeks)
- the dates, Sunday to Saturday, and earnings for each of your highest paid weeks of insurable earnings Footnote 1 in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is the shorter period. This information will be used, along with your Record(s) of Employment, to calculate your benefit rate.
You may also have to provide the following details if you are reactivating an existing claim:
- the salary amount you received, before deductions, for the last week you worked (from Sunday to your last day of work), including insurable tips and commissions
- any other amount you received or will receive (such as vacation pay, severance pay, pension payments, pay in lieu of notice, and other money)
When you apply for EI benefits, be sure to sign up for direct deposit to get your payments as quickly as possible. When you use direct deposit, your EI payments are deposited automatically into your bank account two business days after we process your EI report.
If you do not sign up for direct deposit at the time you complete your EI application, you can sign up any time after you apply through My Service Canada Account.
Guides and help
- How to apply for Employment Insurance benefits
- Reporting calendar — to keep track of your earnings and hours worked
- Your Employment Insurance regular benefits application - checklist
Related services and info
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: