Information on medical certificates and practitioners for Employment Insurance sickness benefits

Medical certificates

You need to get a medical certificate signed by a medical practitioner when you apply for Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits. You have 2 options. You can ask your medical practitioner to complete and sign one of the following:

Who can complete and sign your medical certificate

Here is a list of medical practitioners who can complete and sign your medical certificate. They must practise in Canada or the United States and the illness they’re treating must be in their field.

Once you have your medical certificate, keep it in a safe place. We’ll let you know if you need to submit it to Service Canada. Keep it for 6 years in case we require it later.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: