EI Sickness Benefit - While on EI

7. While on EI Sickness Benefits

If you work while receiving sickness benefits, you will be able to keep 50 cents of your EI benefits for every dollar you earn, up to 90 percent of the weekly insurable earnings used to calculate your EI benefit amount. This 90 percent amount is called the earnings threshold. If you earn any money above this threshold, we will deduct it dollar for dollar from your benefits.

For more information, visit the Working While on Claim page.

When you work and receive benefits at the same time, you must not combine the hours and earnings of more than one week. It is essential that you report your work earnings and hours for the week you worked.

If you notice that you made an error on your report (for example, if you forgot to report some work hours or you did not report them in the right week), tell us immediately so that we can make the necessary corrections.

The following types of income will be deducted from your EI sickness benefits:

  • other income from employment (including self-employment), such as commissions;
  • payments received as compensation for a work accident or an occupational illness, such as compensation for lost wages;
  • payments received under a group health insurance plan or a group wage loss replacement plan;
  • certain payments received under an accident insurance plan to replace lost wages;
  • retirement income from a retirement plan, a military or police pension, the Canada Pension Plan, the Quebec Pension Plan, or provincial employment-based plans; and
  • allowances, amounts, or other benefits paid under provincial legislation, such as benefits under the Quebec Parental Insurance Program.

Other types of income have no impact on your EI sickness benefits, including:

  • disability benefits under the Canada or Quebec Pension Plan;
  • survivor or dependent benefits;
  • workers' compensation benefits paid under specific regulations;
  • additional insurance benefits paid under a private plan approved by Service Canada (for example, payments for pain and suffering or medical expenses that you receive from an insurance company after you have been injured in a car accident);
  • additional sickness benefits paid by your employer from a supplemental unemployment benefit plan (as long as the income, benefits, and additional amounts combined do not exceed 100% of your weekly earnings);
  • sickness or disability payments received under a private wage loss replacement plan; and
  • retroactive salary increases.

If you should receive money during the waiting period

Any amounts you receive that are allocated to the one-week waiting period, including vacation pay or severance pay, will be deducted dollar for dollar from the first three weeks of benefits that you are entitled to receive.

For most people, combined EI special benefits—sickness, maternity, parental, compassionate care or Family Caregiver Benefits—can be paid for up to 50 weeks in a 52-week benefit period. To find out if you are eligible to receive other types of EI special benefits during the same benefit period, call 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742) or visit your local Service Canada Centre.

You can only leave Canada and continue to receive EI sickness benefits if you are outside Canada to obtain medical treatment that is not offered or immediately available in a hospital, medical clinic, or equivalent health institution in Canada. If you decide on your own initiative to go to another country to rest or recuperate, you are not entitled to benefits.

Before you leave Canada, you must always let us know you are leaving the country by visiting the Service Canada Centre in your area or by calling 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742) and pressing "0" to speak with a representative.

Contacts and other useful information

EI Telephone Information Service

The EI Telephone Information Service is an automated telephone service that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you would prefer to speak to a representative, call this number between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, and press "0." You can get general information about the EI program, the Social Insurance Number (SIN), and your specific EI claim.

Information about your claim is updated every morning from Monday to Friday. To access information about your EI claim, you will need your SIN and access code, which you will find on the benefit statement that is mailed to you after you apply for EI benefits.

My Service Canada Account

My Service Canada Account allows you to view and update your EI information in one place using a secure website. With My Service Canada Account, you can:

  • confirm any decision made about your EI application
  • see details on your payments and deductions
  • sign up for direct deposit
  • view and update your personal information, including your mailing address, telephone number, and banking information for direct deposit
  • view your EI tax information slips
  • view all Records of Employment that your employers have submitted electronically in the last two years
  • view and print your Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions and benefit estimate
  • register to access EI special benefits for self-employed people

How can you register for a My Service Canada Account

Before you register, you must have your four-digit EI access code (printed in the shaded area at the bottom of your benefit statement). You can then register for My Service Canada Account. It will take about 10 minutes to complete the registration process.

For more information about EI sickness benefits:

Call 1 800-206-7218

TTY 1-800-529-3742

Visit a Service Canada Centre

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: