Public pensions – COVID-19

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

One-time payment to persons with disabilities

One-time tax-free payment for seniors

This one-time payment provides financial support to help you cover increased costs caused by COVID-19:

  • $300 for seniors eligible for the Old Age Security pension, and
  • an additional $200 for seniors eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement

If you receive the Old Age Security pension and the Guaranteed Income Supplement, you will receive a single payment of $500.

You do not have to apply. This payment will be issued as soon as possible.

Learn more about the one-time tax-free payment for seniors

An important note for people applying for Canada Pension Plan, Canada Pension Plan Disability or Old Age Security

You can apply online through your My Service Canada Account for the following:

  • Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension
  • Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit, or
  • Old Age Security/Guaranteed Income Supplement

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Service Canada is strongly encouraging you to apply for these benefits online, from the comfort of your home. You will not be required to submit documentation to support your application at this time. Service Canada may be requesting these documents at a later date, but in the meantime, we can begin working on your application.

Full time student aged 18 to 25: Disabled contributor’s child’s benefit and surviving child’s benefit - Canada Pension Plan

Students under 25 who are applying for or renewing their benefit are normally required to have the Declaration of Attendance at School or University signed by the registrar at the educational institution they are attending. If the student is no longer attending classes, they are normally required to notify us.

Declaration of attendance at school or university

You should have received a Declaration of Attendance at School or University. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Service Canada understands that access to student services may be reduced or limited at educational institutions.

We will now accept:

  • an electronic attestation from a school official, such as an email, confirming that you are in full time attendance, or
  • an attestation through your on-line student account

The attestation must be a written statement or declaration that includes:

  • your name
  • your student ID
  • your program of study
  • information about your school (name and address)
  • start and end dates for the semester, term or school year, and
  • enrolment status for the semester, term or school year (full-time or part-time)

Foreign payments

Canada Post is currently not accepting mail and parcels destined to a large number of countries. To learn more about which destinations are impacted, please visit the Canada Post Delivery Service Alerts page.

You are encouraged to sign up for Foreign Direct Deposit (FDD) so that your payments can be directly deposited into your foreign bank account. For more information about FDD and for a list of participating countries, please visit the Direct deposit for individuals with a foreign bank account page.

For more information on Public Pensions such as how to apply and eligibility requirements, go to Public Pensions or call 1-800-277-9914.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: