Reserve Band Auditions
Auditioning for a position in the reserve force component of the Canadian Armed Forces Music Branch is a two-phase process. It begins after a person indicates interest to a reserve band and the Director of Music or Senior Pipe Band Musician determines there is a requirement to fill a position.
Phase I – Submission of recorded audition
All candidates will submit a recording indicating their current musical level and abilities. The music performed can be of any genre but the audition candidate must be clearly audible. The purpose of the initial audio recording is to display an individual’s musical talent and indicate to the reviewing committee a potential for employment. The recording should include and consider the following parameters.
Audio recording content
- The recording should be between 15 and 30 minutes long;
- The recording may contain a number of different pieces or movements;
- We value skill and ability on a secondary instrument, which should be shown; and
- The repertoire is your choice, but selections should show your ability to play different and contrasting styles.
What to include in your submission
- The recording is to be identified with name, date and instrument, including a track listing;
- Complete resume, including musical education, work history and notable accomplishments; and
- A signed letter of authenticity by a person of position such as a music teacher, musical director, attesting that your audio recording is a true representation.
All recordings will be delivered to the Director of Music/ Senior Pipe Band Musician of the auditioning band.
PHASE II – Final Selection and Canadian Armed Forces Recruiting Processing
All submissions will be reviewed at the Directorate of History and Heritage – Music and assessed for musical suitability. The auditioning band will contact the candidate to update their audition status. No further action is required for candidates who are not offered a position. Candidates deemed to have passed the musical audition will continue with their recruitment process.
Questions should be addressed to the auditioning band or for any general information, please contact the Music Branch : 1-866-991-0422
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: