Language selection


T4E: Report COVID-19 amounts - Personal income tax

Chat with Charlie unread messages

On this page

T4E slips for 2020 tax year

If you received Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) from Service Canada or any Employment Insurance (EI) benefit payments, you should get a T4E tax slip with the amounts you received.

These benefit amounts are taxable income. Any payments you received before December 31, 2020 will need to be reported on your 2020 tax return.

You will receive a T4E slip at tax time or you may also get your T4E information from My Service Canada Account.

Other tax slips you may receive

You may get other tax slips in addition to the T4E slip.

T4A slip

If you received CERB from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you will get a T4A slip. For details: T4A: Report COVID-19 amounts.

T4E(Q) slip

If you are a Quebec resident, you will also get a T4E(Q) slip.

T4 slip

If you received employment income in 2020, you will see new box numbers (57, 58, 59, and 60) at the bottom of your 2020 T4 slip. These boxes are only for CRA use and no action is required by you.

These amounts include employment income paid between March 15 to September 26, 2020, which are already included in box 14 of your T4 slip.

If your employer received the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) to cover part of your wages, it be will be included as regular employment income on your T4 slip.

Verify CERB amounts on your T4E slip

When you receive your T4E slip, make sure the CERB amounts you received are correct. You also need to verify any repayments you made before December 31, 2020 are accounted for.

You can view or print an itemized statement of your T4E benefits through My Service Canada Account.

To verify your CERB amounts, go to T4E and the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).

Issues with your T4E slip

You must contact Service Canada if:

  • you still have not received your T4E slip
  • you have an issue with your T4E slip

Report T4E amounts on your tax return

CERB benefit payment amounts received from Service Canada are included in box 14 of your T4E slip.

The total amount in box 14 includes your CERB amounts along with other employment insurance benefits.

Steps for reporting T4E amounts on your tax return

  1. Find your total benefits paid amount in box 14 of your T4E slip
  2. If you are not eligible to receive tax exempt benefits under the Indian Act, take the amount in box 14 and subtract any amount from box 18 (under "Other information" on your T4E slip)
  3. Enter the subtracted amount on line 11900 on your return

If your income is tax exempt

If your income is eligible for tax exemption under section 87 of the Indian Act, your CERB payments may be tax exempt. Your CERB payments will be taxed or tax exempt in the same way as the total income that entitled you to the benefit.

  • If all your income was tax exempt during the time you earned the $5,000 income requirement (in 2019 or the last 12 months), then the benefit is also tax exempt
  • If your income during that time was not fully tax exempt, you may have some tax to pay

If you are not sure if your income is tax exempt, or need more details:
Taxes and benefits for Indigenous peoples

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: