Mission, Vision, and Principles
The mission of the Office of the Taxpayers’ Ombudsman is to increase awareness of taxpayer rights and our Office, influence positive change in the CRA’s service, improve its accountability, and ensure taxpayers can trust that an independent resolution of complaints about the CRA’s service will be fair.
Our vision is to ensure that, in every interaction, Canadians get fair treatment and professional service from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), to help the CRA improve its services, and to preserve the OTO’s distinction for fairness, professionalism and effectiveness.
- The Ombudsman operates at arm's length from the CRA.
- The Ombudsman is neither an advocate for the taxpayer, nor a defender of the CRA.
- The Ombudsman considers the position and perspective of both the taxpayer and the CRA when examining a complaint or issue.
- The Ombudsman acts with equity and justice.
- The Ombudsman holds all communications with those seeking assistance in strict confidence and does not disclose confidential communications unless given permission to do so.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: