Supporting Tool for Access to Information and Personal Information Requests: Principles for Assisting Requesters
The following principles, which are aimed at assisting requesters, are to be communicated to requesters.
In processing your request under the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act, we will:
- Offer reasonable assistance throughout the request process.
- Provide information on the Act, including information on the processing of your request and your right to complain to the Information Commissioner of Canada or the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
- Inform you, as appropriate and without undue delay, when your request needs to be clarified.
- Make every reasonable effort to locate and retrieve the requested records.
- Apply limited and specific exemptions to the requested records.
- Provide accurate and complete responses.
- Provide timely access to the requested information.
- Provide records in the format and official language requested, as appropriate.
- Provide an appropriate location in the government institution where you can examine the requested information.
- Date modified: