Computer Systems (CS) Group Definition
Pursuant to section 101 of the Public Service Reform Act, the Treasury Board of Canada hereby provides notice that the following definition shall apply to the Computer Systems Group effective .
The Computer Systems Group comprises positions that are primarily involved in the application of computer systems knowledge to the planning, development, installation and maintenance of information technology processing systems to manage, administer or support federal government programs and activities.
Notwithstanding the generality of the foregoing, for greater certainty, it includes positions that have, as their primary purpose, responsibility for one or more of the following activities:
- the conduct of analyses and design and programming activities for the development, implementation and maintenance of administrative, scientific and technological information processing systems; and the customization and maintenance of generalized application software and system software packages;
- the conduct and control of emergency repairs to application and system software;
- the analysis and design of business systems and supporting infrastructures and the construction and maintenance of the related software;
- the design, implementation, installation and servicing of databases and database software, the control of the integrity, security and modification of the databases and the provision of database recovery/backup facilities;
- the capacity management, configuration, performance measurement and optimization of hardware, software and network systems;
- the development, application or enforcement of standards and procedures, and quality assurance pertaining to information technology processing systems and activities;
- the development and conduct or determination of:
- the technical evaluation of information technology processing systems;
- technical specifications for the evaluation, testing, acquisition, installation and acceptance of information technology processing goods and services, such as computer system and related hardware, computer or computer network hardware and software; and
- associated support services;
- the provision of advice and consultation on information technology processing systems, facilities and applications including the evaluation of the technical security of these systems;
- the conduct of planning and research into existing and future information technology processing systems capacity, capability, applications and requirements;
- the development and delivery of training programs in the above activities; and
- the leadership of any of the above activities.
Positions excluded from the Computer Systems Group are those whose primary purpose is included in the definition of any other group or those in which one or more of the following activities is of primary importance:
- the support or provision of internal management and administrative services or the support or provision of scientific, professional or technical services that may involve limited or specific application of information technology processing skills and knowledge as an auxiliary in the performance of the primary activities or purpose of the position;
- the planning, design, construction and maintenance of physical equipment and systems (electrical, electronic and electro-mechanical), the provision of advice, the conduct of studies and the development and application of related standards and procedures, such as may be involved in the development or modification of physical systems and equipment for use in special purpose computer systems applications and where a comprehensive knowledge of engineering, engineering technology or its specialized techniques is the prime requirement; and
- the operation, scheduling or controlling of the operations of electronic equipment used in the processing of data for the purpose of reporting, storing, extracting and comparing information or for solving formulated problems according to prescribed plans.
Job Evaluation Standard
Computer Systems (CS) Job Evaluation Standard
To obtain a copy of the CS Job Evaluation Standard please contact TBS Public Enquiries.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: