Canada.ca Content and Information Architecture Specification: Mandatory elements of the Canada.ca design system
Government of Canada web pages must be easily identifiable as part of Canada.ca. Each page must convey the overall brand and feel of Canada.ca, and provide a consistent experience for site visitors.
These mandatory elements were designed to reflect the trusted digital brand of the Government of Canada: modern, open, helpful and credible.
Mandatory elements for all institutions
Apply the following style elements:
Header and footer
Each page shares a common header and footer. That is, the upper and lower parts of a page must look the same.
Every page must use the standard header and footer, except in these situations:
- Transactional scenarios: Pages where people are engaged in a transactional process such that mistakenly following other links would result in errors, loss of data or accidental termination of the session.
- Campaigns: Landing pages for external marketing or advertising campaigns. The flexibility in layout allows institutions to match elements of their external campaign with the landing page.
How the header and footer elements may vary in these situations is shown in the tables below.
|Header element||Standard page||Campaign page||Transactional page|
Table 1 Notes
|Government of Canada signature (linked to Canada.ca home)||Mandatory||Mandatory||Mandatory, but link to Canada.ca home page is optional|
|Language toggle||Mandatory||Mandatory||Mandatory table 1 note 1|
|Site search box||Mandatory||Optional||Optional|
|Theme and topic menu||Mandatory||Optional||Optional|
|Background colour (white)||Mandatory||Optional||Mandatory|
|Footer element||Standard page||Campaign page||Transactional page|
|Report a problem||Mandatory||Mandatory||Mandatory|
|Share this page||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Date modified||Mandatory||Mandatory||Mandatory, but can instead be a version number when used for an application|
Institutional landing page
All Government of Canada organizations and institutions must use this template as the single home page for their institution.
Other mandatory templates
Specific Canada.ca page types use mandatory templates. Consistency in these page types helps people find and accomplish tasks.
- Theme page: top-level page for each Canada.ca theme, to be used only by theme lead institution
- Topic page: mandatory for the first 2 levels of topics in the Canada.ca topic tree, optional for lower-level topics
- Government-wide audience page: to be used only by the institutions managing the government-wide audiences
- Ministerial profile: to be used for ministers and parliamentary secretaries (also used with modification for heads of quasi-judicial arm’s-length institutions)
- News products: common layouts for news products such as releases, backgrounders, advisories and speeches
There is only one of each of these pages across Canada.ca.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: