Sponsorship agreement holders: Who can become a SAH
All SAHs must now complete an organizational assessment
Sponsorship agreement holders (SAHs) must complete and submit an organizational assessment template between September 1 and November 30, 2022. You must submit this template to be able to renew your agreement in 2023. Learn more about this assessment and get the template.
Becoming a sponsorship agreement holder
To become a SAH, your organization must
- have been incorporated (a legal organization) for at least 2 years
- be physically located in Canada
- be interested in, and capable of, sponsoring more than 5 refugees or refugee families per year
- have the resources and support network to be an effective SAH
Your organization’s main contact, president (or equivalent), and any representative you want to submit sponsorship applications must
- be 18 years of age or older
- be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident of Canada
- live in or have at least 2 representatives in the same community the refugee will live in
- be eligible under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
Be an effective Sponsorship Agreement Holder
It takes resources and commitment to be an effective SAH. Not all organizations have the capacity and support network to do it well. Before you apply, your organization should
- have the financial resources to support and settle several refugees a year
- have experience sponsoring refugees or providing refugee settlement services
- be able to train and support your constituent groups (CGs), co-sponsors and volunteers
- have a plan to verify the support your CGs, co-sponsors or volunteers are responsible for providing
- have a backup plan to fully support refugees if any of your CGs, co-sponsors or volunteers fail to meet their commitments
We assess and monitor sponsorship groups, including SAHs, regularly to make sure they’re meeting their responsibilities. Make sure you understand your responsibilities. Your agreement could be impacted if you don’t meet your responsibilities.
Learn more about what it takes to be an effective SAH from the Refugee Sponsorship Training Program.
If your organization is in Quebec
Quebec has its own process to sponsor refugees. Find out how to sponsor a refugee if you’re in Quebec.
- Date modified: