Sponsorship Agreement Holders: Who can become a SAH


Becoming a Sponsorship Agreement Holder

To become a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH), your organization must

  • have been incorporated (a legal organization) for at least 2 years
  • be physically located in Canada
  • be interested in, and capable of, sponsoring more than 5 refugees or refugee families per year
  • have the resources and support network to be an effective SAH

Your organization’s main contact, president (or equivalent), and any representative you want to submit sponsorship applications must

  • be 18 years of age or older
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident of Canada
  • live in or have at least 2 representatives in the same community the refugee will live in
  • be eligible under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Be an effective Sponsorship Agreement Holder

It takes resources and commitment to be an effective SAH. Not all organizations have the capacity and support network to do it well. Before you apply, your organization should

  • have the financial resources to support and settle several refugees a year
  • have experience sponsoring refugees or providing refugee settlement services
  • be able to train and support your constituent groups (CGs), co-sponsors and volunteers
  • have a plan to verify the support your CGs, co-sponsors or volunteers are responsible for providing
  • have a backup plan to fully support refugees if any of your CGs, co-sponsors or volunteers fail to meet their commitments

Learn more about what it takes to be an effective SAH from the Refugee Sponsorship Training Program.

If your organization is in Quebec

Quebec has its own process to sponsor refugees. Find out how to sponsor a refugee if you’re in Quebec.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: