10 tips to make your home #floodready
10 tips to make your home #floodready - Text version
There are lots of things you can do to reduce potentially expensive damage from overland flooding. Some are relatively quick and easy.
- Put sealant around basement windows and the base of ground-level doors.
- Install flood shields or barriers for basement windows and doors.
- Raise large appliances in the basement above the potential water level from a flood.
- Secure furnaces, water heaters, and/or oil tanks so they won’t tip over in a flood.
- Check that all basement flood drains are not blocked or covered up.
- Make sure your sump pump is working and install a battery-operated backup.
- Ensure your property is graded so that water runs away from your basement walls.
- Check that your roof and eavestroughs are draining properly in heavy rains.
- Make sure your downspouts extend at least 2 m (6’) from your basement walls.
- Use a rain barrel to catch runoff from your roof.
Don’t wait for the water!
For more #FloodReady tips and resources visit Canada.ca/Flood-Ready
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: