Defence Research and Development Canada mission and impact
A Renewed Context for Defence and Security Science & Technology (S&T)
The evolving threat environment requires improved agility and responsiveness. The current innovation system is dispersed and globalized, so accessing external capacity and finding solutions wherever they can be found is crucial to success.
Effective delivery of S&T is more important than ever before. Client requirements need to be met by focusing on strategic outcomes and increasing burden-sharing required with Allies and partners.
Our mission is to provide a strategic knowledge and technology advantage.
Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC) supports defence and security operations at home and abroad with knowledge and technology; provides S&T to forecast, cost, and deliver future readiness levels to meet operational requirements; and, generates knowledge and technology for a robust, connected and multi-jurisdictional security and intelligence environment.
DRDC leverages other organizations’ expertise, knowledge and resources so that diverse collaborations with partners create a more networked environment. DRDC anticipates S&T defence and security challenges and acts as the catalyst for an innovative defence and security sector across Canada.
Six Strategic Priority Areas
- Build agile and adaptable forces to carry out missions across a wide spectrum of operations.
- Assist and support Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and civilian personnel before, during and after operations.
- Enable the acquisition, sharing and use of critical information in support of situational awareness and decision-making.
- Develop and implement solutions to maximize the affordability and sustainability of Department of National Defence (DND) and the CAF.
- Support public safety and security practitioners in their mission to protect Canadians.
- Anticipate, prepare for and counter the emergence of future threats.
DRDC’s strategic S&T program
DRDC is focused on :
- a S&T program focused on outcomes that are priority for Canada’s defence and security and the DND.
- the development of an S&T program focused on science, technology and knowledge that no other organization can perform.
- implementing a business model that supports agility internally and helps develop a robust innovation environment based on a diverse set of partners, nationally and internationally.
A Networked S&T and Innovation System
Defence and security S&T experts engage across the innovation system to ensure that the best solutions are generated.
DRDC accesses external capacity in other government departments (OGDs), industry and academia and collaborates with international and domestic partners. Strategic engagement partnership mechanisms are aligned for impact, alignment with priorities and return on investment.
Impact for Canada
DRDC supports innovation and S&T as an engine for generating solutions.
DRDC accesses knowledge, builds networks and leverages capacity across a broad range of partners, nationally and internationally, creating innovative partnerships for new solutions to challenging problems.
DRDC emphasizes operational simplification and efficiency, responsiveness and agility.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: