Disclosure of Position Reclassifications
On February 25, 2004, the government announced the mandatory publication of information concerning the reclassification of occupied positions in the Public Service of Canada.
This web site provides information on the reclassification of occupied positions by department and agencies on a quarterly basis.
The rules and principles governing the reclassification of occupied positions are outlined in the Guidelines on Reclassification. These guidelines provide Deputy Heads with a framework within which to exercise their delegated classification authority for the reclassification of existing positions.
The following are some of the reasons that the duties of a position change resulting in a reclassification of the position:
- Changes to departmental/program mandate;
- Managers reorganize in response to external conditions that increase or decrease available resources;
- Managers reorganize to make more efficient and effective use of their financial and human resources, such as technology innovations, changes in employee competencies; or
- Managers reassign work among their existing human resources to increase productivity, such as in response to vacancies that require temporary or permanent reassignment of work;
- Results from a classification grievance.
Reclassification of occupied positions in the Public Service of Canada is an important and necessary business management option. However, when contemplating changes to a position that may result in reclassification, management must endeavour to ensure the proper, effective and efficient use of public money. The cost implication associated with upward reclassification must be known, transparent and support accountability for classification decisions.
Government-Wide Position Reclassification Departmental Web Sites: information on these websites will be updated every three months, starting in October 2004.
- Government-Wide Reporting
- Disclosure of Travel and Hospitality Expenses
- Disclosure of Contracts
- Disclosure of Grant and Contribution Awards Over $25,000
If you have a general question or comment about the Disclosure of Position Reclassifications you can send it to us at this address: +DCCO Monitoring@ADM(HR-Civ) DCCO@Ottawa-Hull
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: