Operation LENTUS 2020
February 7, 2020 - Defence Stories
From January 19 to 28, 2020, the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) supported the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador after a major snowstorm led to states of emergency in several communities.
Approximately 380 soldiers, sailors and aviators helped with:
- The assurance of public welfare (i.e., wellness checks);
- Opening civilian roadways;
- Removal of snow blocking access to, or negatively affecting critical infrastructure;
- Local snow removal for persons as coordinated by authorities;
- Transport of persons to refuge locations and warming centers as required; and
- Transport essential employees to and from hospitals and emergency centers.
CAF members completed a total of 863 tasked assigned by the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre. The majority of tasks required shovelling assistance, which helped 111 residents with medical needs, and 660 tasks that improved mobility for residents. There was a variety of 92 other tasks completed to assist Newfoundland and Labrador.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: