8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s)
The official lineage of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s) armour regiment.
Colonel-in-Chief: Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal LG LT GCVO QSO CD
Or the Roman numerals "VIII" Argent within a knotted surcingle Azure edged and inscribed CANADIAN HUSSARS - PRINCESS LOUISE'S in letters Or, ensigned by the coronet of the younger child of the Sovereign also Or, the whole set upon a scroll Gules edged and inscribed REGI PATRIAEQUE FIDELIS in letters Or.
The coronet of Her Royal Highness the Princess Louise represents service to the Crown and the relationship between Her Royal Highness and the regiment. The surcingle represents the cavalry nature of the regiment. The Roman numerals "VIII" and the words "CANADIAN HUSSARS (PRINCESS LOUISE'S)" are a form of the regimental title and "REGI PATRIAEQUE FIDELIS" is the motto of the regiment.
REGI PATRIAEQUE FIDELIS (Faithful to king and country)
The Galloping 8th Hussars
The 8th Hussars
The Queen's Royal Hussars (The Queen's Own and Royal Irish)
The Queen's York Rangers, RCAC
The War of 1812
The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA
The First World War
MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-16.
The Second World War
LIRI VALLEY; Melfa Crossing; Ceprano; GOTHIC LINE; Montecchio; Tomba di Pesaro; CORIANO; LAMONE CROSSING; Misano Ridge; Conventello-Comacchio; ITALY, 1944-1945; Ijsselmeer; Delfzijl Pocket; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Apohaqui, New Brunswick on 30 April 1869, when the 'New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '8th Regiment of Cavalry' on 31 May 1872;Footnote 2 '8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry' on 18 July 1884;Footnote 3 '8th "Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars"' on 1 January 1893;Footnote 4 '2nd (Reserve) Regiment, 8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars' on 11 February 1941;Footnote 5 '5th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment, 8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars' on 1 April 1941;Footnote 6 '8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars (5th Armoured Regiment)' on 4 February 1949;Footnote 7 '2/8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's)' on 29 January 1957;Footnote 8 '8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) (Militia)' on 1 January 1960;Footnote 9 and '8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's)' on 15 April 1993.Footnote 10
Only those pre-Confederation units which were re-enrolled under the Act 31 Vic., Cap. 40, respecting the Militia Defence of the Dominion of Canada, and were declared to be existing by General Order of 6 February 1869, legally exist. It is known that a number of units had existed in New Brunswick prior to Confederation, but, as in the case of the Provinces of Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, units that did not re-enrol, as referred to above, automatically ceased to exist without formal announcement of their removal (viz., disbandment). There can be no legal continuity of a former unit - or ante-dating of authorization. This would contravene the legal requirement of conforming with Section 7 of the aforementioned Act. This Act takes precedence over Canadian Forces Supplementary Order 43/72 (dated 4 February 1972), which erroneously authorized a formation date of 4 April 1848.
On 1 November 1920 the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars were organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 May 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 84/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
On 29 January 1957, a Regular Force component was authorized under the designation '1/8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's)' (CAO 110-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 535/58). On 1 January 1960, it was redesignated the '8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's)' (CAO 76-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 665/60). The Regular Force component was amalgamated with its militia component on 15 April 1993 (MOO 93/111, 15 April 93).
On 2 June 1960, the regiment was authorized to perpetuate the '6th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF' (CAO 229-1, Issue No. 673/60).
‘1st and 2nd Battalions, Westmorland County Regiment (1812-15)’ and '6th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'
Moncton, New Brunswick
The First World War
The '6th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF', which was authorized on 7 November 1914,Footnote 11 embarked for England on 17 July 1915.Footnote 12 It disembarked in France on 24 October 1915,Footnote 13 where it continued to train until 2 January 1916 when its personnel were absorbed by the '4th' and '5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion(s), CEF'.Footnote 14 The regiment was disbanded on 18 February 1918.Footnote 15
The Second World War
The regiment mobilized the '4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment, CASF (8 NBH)' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 16 It was converted to armour and redesignated: '8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars) CAC, CASF' on 9 February 1941;Footnote 17 '5th Armoured Regiment (8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars, CASF' on 11 February 1941;Footnote 18 '5th Armoured Regiment (8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars, CAC, CASF' on 15 October 1943;Footnote 19 and '5th Armoured Regiment (8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars, RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.Footnote 20 It embarked for Britain on 9 October 1941.Footnote 21 It landed in Italy on 19 December 1943 as a unit of the 5th Armoured Brigade, 5th Canadian Armoured Division.Footnote 22 It moved to North-West Europe on 17 February 1945, where it continued to fight until the end of the war.Footnote 23 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 15 February 1946.Footnote 24
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: