10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

The official lineage of the 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.

Badge

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 3 July 1905 and incorporates the following regiments and artillery batteries.

The 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA originated in Regina, Saskatchewan on 2 February 1920, when the '10th Brigade, CFA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '10th Field Brigade, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 2 '10th Field Brigade, RCA' on 3 June 1935;Footnote 3 '10th (Reserve) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 4 '10th (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA' on 15 March 1943;Footnote 5 and '10th Medium Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946.Footnote 6 On 2 August 1954, it was amalgamated with the '22nd Field Regiment, RCA' (see below), the '44th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA' (redesignated '44th Medium Battery, RCA'), and the '67th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA' (see below), retaining the same designation.Footnote 7 On 30 October 1961, the 44th Medium Battery, RCA ceased its amalgamation with the regiment.Footnote 8 It was redesignated: '10th Medium Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960;Footnote 9 and '10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 1 May 1962.Footnote 10

Notes:

The 10th Brigade, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 2 July 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 131/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the brigade.

The 10th Brigade, CFA was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 186/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 22nd Field Regiment, RCA originated on 3 July 1905, when a 'regiment of infantry' was authorized to be formed in the districts of Assiniboia and Saskatchewan.Footnote 14 It was redesignated the '95th Regiment' on 2 April 1907;Footnote 15 and it became a rifle regiment on 1 May 1908.Footnote 16 It was redesignated the '95th Saskatchewan Rifles' on 1 June 1909.Footnote 17 On 1 April 1912 the regiment was reorganized into two separate regiments, designated the '95th [Saskatchewan] Regiment' and the '105th Regiment' (now 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment').Footnote 18 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the '60th Rifles of Canada' (see below) and redesignated 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment'.Footnote 19 On 15 May 1924, The South Saskatchewan Regiment was reorganized into five regiments designated, 'The Weyburn Regiment' (now 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment'); 'The Saskatchewan Border Regiment' (now 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment'); 'The Regina Rifle Regiment' (now 'The Royal Regina Regiment'); 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment' (now 'The Saskatchewan Dragoons'); and 'The Assiniboia Regiment'.Footnote 20 On 1 December 1936, The Assiniboia Regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated '22nd (Assiniboia) Field Brigade, RCA'.Footnote 21 It was redesignated: '22nd (Reserve) (Assiniboia) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 22 '22nd (Reserve) (Assiniboia) Field Regiment, RCA' on 15 March 1943;Footnote 23 and '22nd Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946.Footnote 24 On 2 August 1954, it was amalgamated with the '10th Field Regiment, RCA', the '44th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA', and the '67th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA', and redesignated the '10th Field Regiment, RCA', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The South Saskatchewan Regiment on 15 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a five battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (28th Battalion, CEF) and 2nd Battalion (46th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 3rd Battalion (68th Battalion, CEF), 4th Battalion (128th Battalion, CEF), and 5th Battalion (195th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle.

On 1 October 1920 it was organized as a ten battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (28th Battalion, CEF), 2nd Battalion (46th Battalion, CEF), 3rd Battalion (no CEF designation), 4th Battalion (no CEF designation), and 5th Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 6th Battalion (68th Battalion, CEF), 7th Battalion (128th Battalion, CEF), 8th Battalion (195th Battalion, CEF), 9th Battalion (no CEF designation) and 10th Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle (GO 160/20).

The South Saskatchewan Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 232/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Assiniboia Regiment (see above) on 15 May 1924 it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (217th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and a 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle (GO 67/24). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Assiniboia Regiment was disbanded on 30 November 1936 for the purpose of conversion to artillery on 1 December 1936 (GO 165/36 and GO 167/36). This change was administrative and do not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 67th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA originated in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on 1 April 1911, when the '29th Light Horse' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 25 It was redesignated '18th Canadian Light Horse' on 15 March 1920.Footnote 26 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '67th Field Battery, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '67th (Rosetown) Field Battery, RCA'.Footnote 27 It was redesignated: '67th (Reserve) (Rosetown) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 28 and '67th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946.Footnote 29 On 2 August 1954, it was amalgamated with the '10th Medium Regiment, RCA', the '22nd Field Regiment, RCA', and the '44th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA', as above.

Note:

The 18th Canadian Light Horse was disbanded on 14 December 1936 for the purpose of conversion to artillery on 15 December 1936 (GO 207/36). This change was administrative and do not affect the lineage of the battery.

The 67th Field Battery, RCA originated in Rosetown, Saskatchewan on 2 February 1920, when the '67th Battery, CFA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 30 It was redesignated: '67th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 31 and '67th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935.Footnote 32 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '18th Canadian Light Horse', retaining the former designation, as above.

The 60th Rifles of Canada originated in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan on 2 January 1913, when the '60th Rifles of Canada' were authorized to be formed.Footnote 33 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the '95th Saskatchewan Rifles' and redesignated 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment', as above.

Perpetuations

10th Brigade, CFA, CEF'; '217th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'; and '67th Depot Battery, CFA, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Regina, Saskatchewan

Allocated Batteries

  • 18th Field Battery, RCA
  • 64th Field Battery, RCA

Operational History

The First World War

Details from the 29th Light Horse, 60th Rifles of Canada and the 95th Saskatchewan Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 34

The 10th Brigade, which was authorized on 1 January 1916 as the '10th Brigade, CFA, CEF',Footnote 35embarked for Britain on 26 February 1916.Footnote 36 It disembarked in France on 14 July 1916,Footnote 37 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 3rd Canadian Divisional Artillery in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 38 The brigade was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 39

The 217th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '217th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 40 embarked for Britain on 2 June 1917.Footnote 41 Its personnel were absorbed by the '19th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 9 June 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 42The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.Footnote 43

The 67th Battery was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '67th "Overseas" Depot Battery, CEF'.Footnote 44 The battery served as a depot unit in Canada until its personnel were absorbed by 'No. 2 Artillery Depot, CEF on 2 October 1918.Footnote 45 The overseas battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 46

The Second World War

The 67th (Rosetown) Field Battery mobilized the '67th (Rosetown) Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA, CASF' on 24 May 1941.Footnote 47 It provided light anti- aircraft artillery support as part of the 7th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA, CASF, in Great Britain.Footnote 48 The battery was disbanded on 1 March 1944.Footnote 49

PDF version, 39 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: